• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impulse Creation

Share/Bookmark

Impulse Creation

I am interested in making my own impulses. GP II documentation refers me to the GigaPulse electronic doc, but I can't find it. Anyone know where this gets intsalled to?

Thanks,
    Belbin

Re: Impulse Creation

Anyone? Part of the reasone I opted for Orchestra was GP Pro, but it seems neglected in the docs. Help! I wanna hear my Marshall on my direct-in guitar tracks!!!

Belbin

Hello? I posted on the convolution forum, and nothing there either. URL for a set of instructions, anyone? I've accomplished a little, but I still need guidance! Please!!!

Belbin

You'd best give Dave Govett a PM since he is presently writing all the documentation.
    He probably wrote that document you mentioned.

This is your lucky day! ;-)
    I found it for you :
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/Stereo..._GigaPulse.pdf

God bless your cotton socks (that's a nice thing to say where I live, in case you're not sure how to take it)!

Thanks a bunch!

Belbin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Anyone? Part of the reasone I opted for Orchestra was GP Pro, but it seems neglected in the docs. Help! I wanna hear my Marshall on my direct-in guitar tracks!!!

Belbin
    Convolution is not actually going to work for this. You can get the tone of the cabinet/amp combination, but not the compression or distortion. The convolution process is not applicable to those results. So, you would probably hit the chain as "distortion DSP to compression DSP to convolution of amp/cabinet response." You might also conceivably compress the output of the convolution just a bit, but this would be emulative of post production compression.

Thanks guys. I'm not surprised that conv. is not for distortion, now that I think of it.....but just WHY not....a short explanation would be interesting to hear.
    As for that URL, good, yes. My main question, however, remains unanswered:
    What is best to use as the wav file I import as my microphone recorded data?? No mention of just what the impulse is in this set of instructions. Used a hand clap, works OK, but seems to have a cheapening effect on the tone of whatever instrument is used.....does the actual spectrum of the room sample get encoded? Should my impusle file be normalized? I need more nuts and bolts, if anyone has the resources and doesn't mind....

Belbin

Go Back to forum