• Register
  • Help

Topic: Correct System

Share/Bookmark

Correct System

Hello all. I\'m currently considering purchasing a Giga-product, but am unsure what exactly I need. I am a composer of classical music for film/television/media. I compose fairly intricate orchestral pieces using Sibelius. I need to create realistic mockups of these works for demo purposes. My current system is a PII 350. What would anyone recommend in terms of upgrading for these purposes if I wanted to spend $3000 max. Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Re: Correct System

With gigasampler the hard drive is the key. I would suggest upgrading to 7200 rpm with 512 cache, 9.5ms seek time or less. For 3 grand you can have a killer pc system. I like the AMD athlon. The 880mhz seems to be the best value for the price. P3 systems are great 550mhz and up. Through in at least 128 mb of ram (preferably 256). Gigasampler doesn\'t need it but sibelius will thank you. I just got the seagate 20.4 barracuda Hard drive to run gigasampler. In tests it was neck and neck with similar scuz drive. Also use one drive for your music one for your other stuff. Partition magic is great drive partition.

Thanks. In regards to GigaStudio: I have, like I said, a PII 350, with 128mb Ram. What can I actually get in terms of Polyphony? I don\'t need this as speedy performance instrument, or even to create samples, but just to play back and record sequences.

Thanks again,
    Sebastian

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sebastiank:
    Thanks. In regards to GigaStudio: I have, like I said, a PII 350, with 128mb Ram. What can I actually get in terms of Polyphony? I don\'t need this as speedy performance instrument, or even to create samples, but just to play back and record sequences.

Thanks again,
    Sebastian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically you\'d be able to get as many voices as you could in gigasampler if not more.

For $3000 you could get a totally new machine with Gigastudio running a Frontier WaveCentre/PCI or even a Dakota card with monitor. I\'ve built Intel and Athlon systems and both work great with Giga.

Key is to get fast drives.. I recommend IBM Deskstars (20 gig is good) - 7200 rpm, 2mb cache, 9ms access time.

Take Care,

Mike Warning
    Early Warning New Media
    Custom Gigasampler Computers and Sample Cd\'s

Speaking of harddrives I recommend the new Maxtor Diamondplus series. They\'re both faster and quieter than the IBM\'s. Amazing value for money.

Simon

Go Back to forum