• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OK, off topic but WOW.....

Share/Bookmark

OK, off topic but WOW.....

I have been tring to get my friends internet working properly, Through his phoneline would kick him every 15 minutes, through the wireless would render his connection useless... I found the solution to long distances concerning internet LAN capabilites... After over 2 years, we found the Netgear powerline ethernet wall adaptors.... You plug one into a wall socket like you would a fan or any other electronic, you plug in a CAT5 cable into the socket, then anywhere on your house grid, you plug in another to a wall socket, and into your ehternet port on your PC, and instantly you have shared the internet throughout every electric plug in your house.... Truly innovative, enough that I had to tell you guys.... This goes beyond what a wireless LAN can do, Very impressive..... This is no joke, the dam thing works and will put most wireless equipment outta business.... I'm flabbergasted, I can't believe it actually works... I know I'm not the only one bandwidth challenged, I hope this will be useful to you...... BTW, his cottage is very far away from router, And his house is at least 50 years lod.. This dam thing works!!! Any plug in your house is internet ready... Simply amazing... He shares the internet as though he is connected to the router right there...

Re: OK, off topic but WOW.....

I heard about this technology a few years back, but assumed it'd be a long while before it was anywhere near commercially available. May I ask who the company is and what kind of cost ballpark it's in? I wouldn't have a specific use atm, but I am interested... neat...

Could this technology be used to link a Giga network too? Now that would be something - keep that noisy stack of computers somewhere else altogether!

I believe this is what steelhed is referring to.

I'm going through the same thing here, trying to get internet access on the other side of the house, for my son's XBox, etc...

I just discovered this last week, and have been seriously considering it. The fact that someone here says it really works just might make me seriously try it, because I had my doubts.

This could be really cool...

... and then one day it might happen that some guys stealing your files and data via a wall socket from the basement

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    56-Bit DES Encryption network ensures privacy and security
    I beg to differ. Although perhaps your wink means you realize the silliness of the statement.

Nothing except taking the devices & smashing them up into little bits ensures privacy & security. But by using encryption & authentication technologies you can help manage the risk incurred by using modern computing faculties such as wireless, or the internet, or a personal computer.

I purposefully don't have a wireless access point here at home because I don't yet know how it can be secured against all of the malicious & innocent attacks that can be directed to it.
    Andy Finkenstadt, WinXP, P4-2.8GHZ, 3GB, Sonar 4 PE, Sibelius 3. Yamaha CVP-79A.
    EWQL: Gold, GoldPro, Choirs, StormDrum. and Galaxy & Bosendorfer 290, and RealGuitar. And an empty bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    ... and then one day it might happen that some guys stealing your files and data via a wall socket from the basement
    True, a friend of mine is the head of networking at the company he works for, also did a lot of it for the Sydney Olympics.. he was telling about some guys who drove down a main street of London with a laptop and a wireless connection and were tapping into different companies networks as they drove past.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Anyone who breaks into my network is going to be really bored.

So WEP password is a joke?

I don't know any differently, so if there are any tips I'd gladly receive them.

I do disconnect from my wireless conenction when I'm sleeping or away from home for awhile.

But other than that it's only WEP protected.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Could this technology be used to link a Giga network too? Now that would be something - keep that noisy stack of computers somewhere else altogether!
    That's a really good idea...no more fan noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Anyone who breaks into my network is going to be really bored.
    HAHA...Perhaps we could see the PDF files of your magazine...
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Go Back to forum