• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Topic: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    My assistant Stephen Orsak took some stock and custom Standard MIDI files and pointed them towards one of our GigaStudio machines here at Electric LarryLand...

    The result is a new audio demo for the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" library...

    Check it out:

    http://www.larryseyer.com/lsl/mp3files/ahds.mp3

    What you hear is exactly what came out of GigaStudio 3...

    He used Logic 5 on a PC sending that MIDI data into a GigaStudio 3 machine loaded with our drum library... thats it... What you hear is what came out of the box.

    Enjoy!

    Best to all!

    Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

  2. #2

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    The hi hats sound weak. DKFH Superior may have the edge in
    Cymbals. I've been using BFD kicks and snares with DKFHS
    cymbals.

    The Seyer lib is very tempting.
    Brilliant overall though. I like the previewing system this library
    has. Thoughtful design. A bit more playable than many drum libs.
    Also, swells are a nice thing to have. Dont see them much for
    some reason.

    TK

  3. #3

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    This is how drums sound ! Good work.

    I would like to hear a hard version of the drums suitable for Rock/Metal , all velocities to 127 or close to that
    Theo Krueger - Composer

    www.TheoKrueger.com

    Kontakt 2 Scripts

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    Quote Originally Posted by toddk
    The hi hats sound weak. DKFH Superior may have the edge in
    Cymbals. I've been using BFD kicks and snares with DKFHS
    cymbals.

    The Seyer lib is very tempting.
    Brilliant overall though. I like the previewing system this library
    has. Thoughtful design. A bit more playable than many drum libs.
    Also, swells are a nice thing to have. Dont see them much for
    some reason.

    TK
    Re: Hi Hats, you would find that this is not an issue, it's just a specifc balance thing with this particular file. I hear what you mean...they're a little buried. But in actuality, the hi-hats are crazy good...when you roll the pitch-wheel, you get different samples from tip to shank hits, and you can definitely put them up front.

    Re Swells....I don't believe there are any swells in cymbals at all. I think what you heard was an actual played roll. The round-robin coverage is such that it just makes for really nice cymbal work as played. You don't have to program special swells.

    The only samples which are "roll" strokes are the snare drum presses...in the video demo you can see Larry playing those, and how they're programmed to work. Other than that, I don't believe there are any samples in the library except single strokes (and even the presses are actually a single "stroke"). So the library is designed to be "played" as one would play a kit. Even if you're playing on a pad and you actually play presses with the sticks, the results are good, since the alternation kicks in as the key gets repeated. You can't make it machine gun, unless you were to reprogram it to allow that to happen.

    What Larry isn't mentioning is that since these were General MIDI files, this is a demo of what the library does with the least specific programming available. The GM kits are not nearly as detailed by necessity as the full-on kits with stick position, etc. You can get nutty with stick positions, which in the case of something that's technically on the edge, gives a nice feeling of "almost out of control" intensity.

    It's hard to say enough nice things about this library. I was blown away when I began using it, and still, I am just as happy. People actually comment on how good the drums sound, as in "man, those drums sound great," not "what samples are those?"

  5. #5

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    ...People actually comment on how good the drums sound, as in "man, those drums sound great," not "what samples are those?"
    That says all that there is to say...

    -JF

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    That's a great drum and cymbal sound to me Larry, Will this be available for Macs and Logic one day? Very real sound to me.

  7. #7

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    Is there a reason why it is so compressed? Perhaps the final gain was too high resulting in all the clipping?
    Brain Edwards

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    Sounds great Larry!!!

    great job!! can't wait to get my hands on your library!

    best regards

    Yves

  9. #9

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    I'm still using the demo samples included with G3. They are indeed the most realistic drums ever. They sit perfectly in a mix.

  10. #10

    Re: New Audio demo posted for Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Re: Hi Hats, you would find that this is not an issue, it's just a specifc balance thing with this particular file. I hear what you mean...they're a little buried. But in actuality, the hi-hats are crazy good...when you roll the pitch-wheel, you get different samples from tip to shank hits, and you can definitely put them up front.

    Re Swells....I don't believe there are any swells in cymbals at all. I think what you heard was an actual played roll. The round-robin coverage is such that it just makes for really nice cymbal work as played. You don't have to program special swells.

    The only samples which are "roll" strokes are the snare drum presses...in the video demo you can see Larry playing those, and how they're programmed to work. Other than that, I don't believe there are any samples in the library except single strokes (and even the presses are actually a single "stroke"). So the library is designed to be "played" as one would play a kit. Even if you're playing on a pad and you actually play presses with the sticks, the results are good, since the alternation kicks in as the key gets repeated. You can't make it machine gun, unless you were to reprogram it to allow that to happen.

    What Larry isn't mentioning is that since these were General MIDI files, this is a demo of what the library does with the least specific programming available. The GM kits are not nearly as detailed by necessity as the full-on kits with stick position, etc. You can get nutty with stick positions, which in the case of something that's technically on the edge, gives a nice feeling of "almost out of control" intensity.

    It's hard to say enough nice things about this library. I was blown away when I began using it, and still, I am just as happy. People actually comment on how good the drums sound, as in "man, those drums sound great," not "what samples are those?"
    Hi Bruce,
    I've been reading your GS3/kontakt posts. Very insightful. Im
    learning alot.

    If those mallet cymbal swells were played, then WOW and Double WOW.
    Now i might have to snag the Seyer stuff.

    As i said, i think anybody would have to admit, the layout is outstanding.

    TK

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •