• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sustain Problems

Share/Bookmark

Sustain Problems

This May sound a really dumb question, but i'm quite new to the GPO library.
    I'm trying to get sustain on a piano track that am writing in Cubase SX and i cant for the life in me work out how to do it if anyone has the no how I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Sustain Problems

Philzy,
    Welcome to the forum!
    This isn't a dumb question, however it has been previously addressed, so if you do a search you'll probably find better advice than what I'm about to tell you.

If you have other legato instruments loaded (just about all of the strings brass and winds) you can't have the piano sustain. Under options in the Kontakt player, there is a pull-down menu that says above it 'sustain function' or something like that. There are some options. I'm not sure exactly what each of them do, maybe somebody else could explain it, but one of the options changes the sustain petal function from legato to sustain.

I haven't yet found a way to have a piano with sustain and orchestra with legato playing simultaniously, but some people have. Like I said, do a search. You will find answers!

Reguards,
    Chris

The Kontakt player used for GPO can only address one type of pedal controller at a time, but since you are using Cubase, there is a simple work around. Go to your Cubase VST plugin folder and look for the file named "PersonalOrchestraVST.dll" - copy this file to another folder and rename it "PersonalOrchestraVST2.dll". Now all you have to do is copy this new file back into your VST plugin folder. You now have two files "PersonalOrchestraVST.dll" and "PersonalOrchestraVST2.dll". When you are in Cubase you can use the first player for all instruments that use pedal for legato and the second player version for piano. Just open "PersonalOrchestraVST2.dll" in your synth rack and click on the Options button - then change the Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal Mode to "normal sustain / sostenuto operation". There you are - open all the instances you need of player 1 for your orchestra and open player 2 when you need regular sustain for piano. Please note, this only works with the VST players used in Cubase, Sonar, Cubasis, etc. This doesn't work if you're using the GPO Studio with a notation program as all the players are tied together.

Actually, if you are on PC and using CubaseSX or Sonar you can have your cake and eat it too courtesy of Markleford. You can use the piano in the default MIDI switching pedal mode if you use his MFX plugin. Here's the thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31821

Tom

Thanks for all ur help guys, u truely are stars

Philzy

Go Back to forum