• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hey, I have uno question concerning The Big Band Lib.

Share/Bookmark

Question Hey, I have uno question concerning The Big Band Lib.

Arrrr, mate! Would you be happen to be haven some of them thar "wa-wa" effects for the horns in the Jazz zzz zz z Band Dancing Library? I dunno ifin anyone has asked bethree so I took it upon meself to have a go at it lad! Well, do ya ... punk?

Hey, this is larrrrgitamate questione Morticide! Hope ya used "The Plungger" effect!

Eezzz Cool Yes? No?
    Styxx

Re: Hey, I have uno question concerning The Big Band Lib.

I thought I saw a reference that they were planning to be included. Mutes are an integral part of the big band sound, I doubt if Gary would ignore them.

I just hope it gets released before my next project forces me to hire real players - I play much better than I wrote...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs up Re: Hey, I have uno question concerning The Big Band Lib.

Yeah, I'm sure he is. Man, I never thought I would get antsy about a product like this. The "Wa-Wa" effect of a plunger is probably the sound that best places the horn section in jazz history! I played with a big band for two and a half years and it was always the highlight of the evening when the whole brass section pulled out their plungers. Awesome sound!
    Styxx

it was always the highlight of the evening when the whole brass section pulled out their plungers.
    Man, I sure hope you're talking about mutes!

For me, it's the big punchy full ensemble fff hits. I play with a 14-piece band that has some of Monterey's best players, and it sure is a blast when they blast!

I also really love the Basie-ish sax section sound doing those sweet crescendos...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I'd go for a plunger mute connected to the mod wheel. Mod wheel up, plunger starts to open up.

In fact, I'd go far that with the hand as well. There's mute that has an open end where the hand can simulate the same wah effect. Forgotten the mute's name.

I'd also go for the trombone slide being connected to the mod wheel so we can control when and how fast the gliss happens (doesn't sound possible).

But Tom will think of someway to make it work.

There will be a variety of mutes for the brass. That's as specific as I'm willing to get right now. As to controls: mod wheel is, of course, spoken for since the GPO conventions will carry over into the new libraries (with some additions, as unique instrument requirements dictate.) Many other controllers are available for assignment. Having several assignable hardware sliders and knobs will continue to be a valuable adjunct to our libraries. It certainly makes my life a lot easier as I'm programming.

Tom

Cool Re: Hey, I have uno question concerning The Big Band Lib.

Tom, just for authenticity, I hope the heck you included mutes clanging on the floor. That's a sound that always started after the first break during the second set of the evening when the boys in the band started pounding down a few. Harmon mutes falling all over and the band leader coughing on his cigarette while trying to conduct with one hand holding a Liquorish stick in the other hand his smoke! Not to mention the 67 year old babe in silver sequence half cocked on a piano stool slouched over her mic singing, "Your nobody till somebody loves you and baby I aint much to look at with a run in my nylons but ya old fool take that bag off my head!"
    So, Tom, I hope you are paying attention cause it aint over till the farm boy milks all the cows before the sun comes up!
    Why did they always say, "it aint over till the fat lady sings."? Oprah can't sing to save Michael Jacksons' reputation. The way I finger it, we would wait till we was dead, Fred!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum