• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: No future in composing music as a career?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy No future in composing music as a career?

http://www.zsearch.org/text/barriere.html

This guy seems to think that directors will use generative music in the future. I don't know about you, but i wouldn't be buying those soundtracks. >

"Computer programming technologies and methodologies, like "artificial life", or "genetic algorithms", are -- or will be in the near future -- one of the tools of creation. They offer fantastic artistic potentialities. But like any tool, they can be misused. Soon, "automatic music" will be everywhere. It will replace Muzak. All of the so-called utilitarian forms of music -- for elevators, waiting zones, commercial malls, social spaces, bars and restaurants -- can become automatically generated music. It is a field, but also a market, that will explode very soon. Radios will have channels dedicated to "generated music", that is music whose sound and structure both will be synthesized and self-generated, and that will be more or less sophisticated. It will also become adaptative: thanks to technologies such as neural nets, intelligent agents, and, later, more elaborate processes, it will analyse your taste as well as your mood and will produce music to satisfy your supposed needs at a specific moment. In Hollywood and elswhere, synthetic means will be used first to produce musical arrangements, and then progressively to compose the entire music for a film or other audiovisual product. The directors and producers will just have to give instructions concerning the "feeling", the "mood" they want for the specific context of a scene or part of a film, and the generators will compose accordingly. They will even be able to replicate a given musical example and develop it tirelessly. These new forms of synthesizers, capable of generating and therefore replacing both the score and the instruments, will never complain, or strike, and they will be cheap."

what do you guys think? Sounds bloody depressing to me. But what makes the directors think that some program won't come out to replace them eh?

Way to kill creativity. (sigh)

Re: No future in composing music as a career?

Don't worry about it James. It's a load of intellectual clap trap.

And one that has been addressed so many time before...................and failed.

I hope you are right Paul, I really do.

I mean personally, I want to listen to music with that human spark. Not some formula led code produced nonsense. It just sounds like a path to mediocrity.
    I do however, see some flaws in the whole issue.

1. People like to hear music that people make (I do at least) just as i prefer hand made food to processed meals for example, it's better!
    2. Humans have style, John williams, Goldsmith, etc, they all have a distinctive style that comes across in thier work, generative music would not have a consistant style.
    3. Its more about quantity than quality.

I think it's very , very possible and frightening near !

Is it hard to make a computer make thousands of random Classical SATB cadences by just following the rules of harmony in one scale ? ( No consecutive fifths or octaves , 3rd always present etc) And it will sound pleasant too , that's the bad thing.

It could also make melodies by starting on the 5th , 1st , or 3rd note of the current chord and playing something randomly in between until it reaches the next chords 3rd , 5th or 7th or whatever. Add a few more rules like repeating a bar 2 times and another melody playing some notes in 3rd's and .......TADA! You have music in the plate
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Couple that with a synful orchestra type playback device, some preset ambience....
    But would you listen to it? would you pay for it? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmcwilliams
    I hope you are right Paul, I really do.

I mean personally, I want to listen to music with that human spark. Not some formula led code produced nonsense. It just sounds like a path to mediocrity.
    I do however, see some flaws in the whole issue.

1. People like to hear music that people make (I do at least) just as i prefer hand made food to processed meals for example, it's better!
    2. Humans have style, John williams, Goldsmith, etc, they all have a distinctive style that comes across in thier work, generative music would not have a consistant style.
    3. Its more about quantity than quality.
    Don't fret about it James, This kind of thing was talked about when I was at college and that was eons ago.

Never happen and I don't just say that as some sort of comfort zone factor. Music on it's own - that's maybe different and experimentation will and has been done using these comp/tech techniques for years. It's usually crap though for a myriad of reasons. The same way a sample work will not sound anywhere near as good as a good competent orchestra or orchestral combo playing the same thing. Not for a long time will that come about, if ever.

But music to film- a computer could do that probably - but they'd only try it once. Hitchcock tried a filmic technique whereby all the acting on screen was done all at once without break, using 20 minute or so reels - for instance, Rope and Under Capricorn. Same sort of deal in a way. Didn't really work at all and he never bothered again. For example, musically - can you imagine the music a computer would have 'written' for Psycho? Ummm - Heeeelllooo?

The seperation between what is written for images, and as standalone music is comparable to different universes and a computer, at least not in this century ot the next, will never have the AI to work out the nuances that happen on a screen. Probably never actually.

Unhappy Re: No future in composing music as a career?

I have worried about this type of technology too. Losing jobs to the Garageband/Acid market is tough enough but the BG/Acid guys look like J Williams compared to an algorithm.

Futurists, after world war 2 predicted machines that would do the work while we the humans had more leisure time. All of these machines seem to be taking away the fun jobs and leaving the crappy ones behind.

The reality is that a machine will never replace John Williams but it will defintely be able to wipe out the dudes that score muzak, commercials, etc.

Perhaps one day, no one will get paid for music and it will just be something you do because you love it. Now there's a theory.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR

The seperation between what is written for images, and as standalone music is comparable to different universes and a computer, at least not in this century ot the next, will never have the AI to work out the nuances that happen on a screen. Probably never actually.
    As long as I'm long dead if they get that technology then i'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    Perhaps one day, no one will get paid for music and it will just be something you do because you love it. Now there's a theory.

Darren
    Maybe that could lead musicians to make more money than they do now because they would make better compositions with more feelings than technicality . So the business would be back on track
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast