• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MGM, 2001:A Space Odyssey and LIGETI

Share/Bookmark

MGM, 2001:A Space Odyssey and LIGETI

I remember someone mentioned quite a while back that Ligeti sued MGM over using his music in 2001. I had never heard that, but I did find this quote on Ligeti's website.... This is Ligeti:

"I liked the film. The way it used my music I accept artistically . . . In the l970s I saw a book on the making of 2001 and read that Ligeti had successfully sued MGM for taking his music. But it’s not so. I never sued them. MGM wrote me such nice letters. They said Ligeti should be happy; he’s now famous in America."

I was worried about that, because I am a bit of a Ligeti fan, and at the same time I am a Kubrick fan. I would hate to think that Kubrick would have used his music illegally.

If you have not heard Ligeti's music (especially his Requiem), I highly recommend it. He is definately a living master. His music is so powerful.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: MGM, 2001:A Space Odyssey and LIGETI

Whatever the legal circumstances are surrounding the use of his music in the film, I have to say that it certainly would not have been the same if things had gone according to the original plan.

Originally, all of the music (Ligeti, Strauss, etc.) were all placeholders or moodsetters which Kubrick used to inspire the composer he had hired to do the score. The composer was Alex North. There is a CD that was released several years ago of this original score. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...334951-1054521

The music is interesting but ultimately would have dated the film immediately. Kubrick was dead right with his original gut instinct and the Ligeti excerpts could not have been more appropriate and "timeless".

When the bass voices come in at the beginning of the movement of the Requiem Kubrick used it is so amazing.
    I get a trip out of studying his scores and seeing how much he loved groupings of five (quintuplets?). How hard is that to perform!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

I'd known about Alex North being the original composer for 2001 for a long time, but I hadn't heard that his music had been released. I've always been curious about it, and I'm glad to know that I can finally find out what it sounded like. Thanks for posting that link.

If you're interested in Ligeti, I recommend his Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto. There are several recordings of each. They're more recent works and don't really sound much like his 2001 music, but still very "out there."
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I am about to compose a more experimental piece for my portfolio for Graduate school under recommendation of a profesor at UMKC Music Conservatory. I have been studying some Ligeti scores to get some ideas. I am remembering from my days of writing this stuff, how descriptive one must be. My favorite tricks were having the bassoon doing key clicks that faintly sounded the notes that were fingered, and putting a metal ruler on piano strings to get a weird harpsichorish sound.... plucking the strings on the piano is fun too.

Hey Gary: How about you sample John Cage's prepared piano! That would be so much fun to play with! (Or was it Crumb?)
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Hey Gary: How about you sample John Cage's prepared piano! That would be so much fun to play with! (Or was it Crumb?)
    That would be cool to have prepared piano in GPO! But how would it be prepared? Don't most people specify the "preparation" in the score?

I remember seeing a reference to a prepared piano in SoundFont format a while back, but I think it was a couple of hundred bucks...so it wasn't "cool" enough to actually buy.

Interesting. I wonder how one would go about it? As many times I've experience, it was never the same twice!
    Styxx

I believe Gary said somewhere that there would be a prepared piano in GPO advanced. I think one could do some innovative things with it, and hopefully not use it in the Crumb manner . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Cool Re: MGM, 2001:A Space Odyssey and LIGETI

...North? Nice orchestration for dated music...he was a succesful composer anyway. But...

Thanks Stan for your choice: I can't imagine the monumental movie acompained by this flat 60s music...

Yes both Strauss and Ligeti are certainly better...

It was Cage. If you're interested, take a look at the John Cage Prepared Piano at Big Fish. I haven't tried this, but I've read several glowing reviews. There's also the Prosonus Prepared Piano.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum