• Register
  • Help

Topic: Third Day in Boston, and heading home - well, almost - Day 20

Share/Bookmark

Third Day in Boston, and heading home - well, almost - Day 20

Today was a busy day with mostly meetings. After meeting Kurt Beiderwolf at Starbucks we went to the first meeting with Scott Street and Sean at the Office of Information Technology. Then a meeting with Marjorie O'Malley, AVP for InstitutionalAdvancement. Had a very good meeting with Mark Small, Editor of Berklee Today and thn a metting with Debbie Cavelier, Dean of Berklee Continuing Education and discussed some interesting possibilities.

After these meetings, I was running late, so I skipped lunch and headed over to Northeastern University, several blocks away, and met with Dennis Miller.

Then back to Berklee to talk with the students in the Contemporary Writing and Production Class taught by Michael Ferqhherson. We talked about writing for MIDI vs. writing for orchestra and about optimizing orchestral realizations. Also played some of the jazz/big band library for them.

That was the conclusion of my time at Berklee. What a full three days. Talks with 7 classes, and many meeting with administration and faculty, I left with quite a postive impression. The facilities are tops. Never have I seen so much music technology in one institution that has been actively encouraged and embraced. The facility is first rate. Some of the best people asssembled in one place. And the students are amazing. I was very impressed with their level of knowledge and awareness. Makes me want to go back to school again.

I am at Logan Airport now. My flight is delayed for several hours so I am taking this opportunity to collect some thoughts and rest.

I have been gone 20 days and will arrive home on Orcas Island tomorrow.
    It has been quite a journey. The GPO Competition Concert, visiting the music cities with Petr, Musikmesse, New York with Samuel Adler, Andy Brick and Wendy Carlos, and a wonderful few day at Berklee College of Music. I am glad you were there to share it with.

Gary Garritan

Re: Third Day in Boston, and heading home - well, almost - Day 20

Thank you for the updates on your trip Gary.

It will be great to finally be home I bet.
    WOW that's a long time to be away!
    Get some rest
    Dan

Thumbs up Re: Third Day in Boston, and heading home - well, almost - Day 20

Nice to hear everything went as planned. You sure met quite an impressive group of important people! Berklee sounds awesome thank you for sharing your experiences.
    When you get home, Dr. Salamone prescribes a nice long rest with not a care in the world except time with the misses!
    Have a safe trip home.
    Styxx

Whew, what a long trip . . . but it will fill only just a few pages of your autobiography! Thanks for the updates, and don't be afraid to sleep like a lazy college student!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Wink Re: Third Day in Boston, and heading home - well, almost - Day 20

I hope you had a nice trip, i know about jet lag and boring airports stop.

Enjoy your home, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us...

keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Makes me want to go back to school again.
    Gary Garritan
    I know what you mean! I lived up in Boston for several years back in the early 90's and went to concerts at Berklee every chance I got...very impressive place. And Boston's a great place itself...I miss the jazz clubs in Somerville and Cambridge, the Florida Panhandle is kinda lacking in that respect.

Welcome home (when you finally finish crossing the rest of the continent)!

jim

Go Back to forum