• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does someone know if TFT screens produce a bad magnetic field ?

Share/Bookmark

Does someone know if TFT screens produce a bad magnetic field ?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I know that CRTs are bad if we get a to much long exposure, but what about TFTs ?

I can’t find any article about this problem on the net...

Re: Does someone know if TFT screens produce a bad magnetic field ?

I think the "problem" a lot of people refer to with CRTs has to do with the fact that they fire a ray of radiation, of a kind, at you. This obviously doesn't happen with a TFT or any other type of non-CRT display. So if you regard such emissions as dangerous, then TFTs are a safe alternative.

And there's the added bonus that TFTs don't play havoc with single-coil guitar pickups the way CRTs do making it much easier to sit in front of your DAW when you're laying down tracks.

... that's if you're a guitar player, of course.
    - Layne

Good point, Layne! That gives me problems all the time. I have to turn off my second monitor (it's a CRT whereas my primary screen is a flat panel) most of the time when I use either my bass or my guitar. But I don't have that problem at all with the flat panel.

Hi, Brady and Layne.

So, there is no magnetic field or radiations at all ?

So, no need to demagnetized...

It’s a very good point for TFTs.

And certainly preferable for health...

As CRTs are bigger, produce radiations, smell bad when they get hot, and are noisy too...

I don’t own TFTs yet, does some of them smell bad with the usage, or are noisy ?

I read that some people complained about the noise of some TFTs...

I imagine that, like with any device that runs on electricity, there is some kind of electromagnetic emission, but not nearly as much as a CRT.

As for noise, I've never heard of anyone complaning about a TFT making noise. When you conisder the way the technology works, there's not much way they can make noise. Not sure what those people might be referring to...

No smell either. Mine gets a little warm after it's been on for a while, probably due to the backlight, but other than that (and it isn't noticable unless I put my hand on the back of it), the thing seems otherwise inert.

Question Re: Does someone know if TFT screens produce a bad magnetic field ?

TFT?
    What's that?
    I only know of LCD and CRT.
    How does a TFT work? I'm gonna have to buy a new monitor soon so I was just wondering.
    Tell me about them!

-Chris

TFT is a specific subset of LCD technology. So simply speaking, it's the same thing.

TFT = Thin Film Transistor

i.e flat panel displays.
    - Layne

Oh.

I gets it.

Thanks.

-Chris

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast