• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: We are the beacon of light.....

Share/Bookmark

We are the beacon of light.....

I just wanted to say something that was on my mind.

We are the beacon of light in a dark abyss. Just think of what we do. We take something from nothing, sound, and make music. It's a rare gift. It's a high level talent.

In a world filled with violence and hatred we get up every morning and think about how to create something new with our music. Others get up and only think about what can be done to hurt others. We strive to bring beauty.

We get criticized. People say to us, "what's the use of music? Why waste your time? Why do we have arts?" "You're fooling yourself if you think that you're ever going to 'make it'?"

To them I say why not? And, I'd rather be a fool with a dream than a sane man without. Because dreams give you hope that tomorrow will be better than today. When you loose that, you've lost all.

Sure some of us will be paid hansomely. Some not. Some nothing at all. Each person that does music has one thing in common. They'd rather be doing music than cutting somebody down with a machine gun.

But I don't blame others for their greed, violence and their hatred. If I didn't have music in my heart I might be the same. I actually pitty people that aren't artist. I don't understand people that can't create beautiful effects.

So to you my forum members I write this quite emotionally. The world needs more of us. If you ever think that it's too tough or that life is unfair, remember it's the world that's the problem and not the few who inspite of it all wake up and create music.

What's often overlooked is that to create is much harder than to destroy. Everybody looks at a cruise missile ram into a target with precision and says ohh, ahh. Well how about the ohh, ahh for the architects and the engineers who created that building. That took more time, intelligence and effort than the design and creation of that missile.

So let's keep writing and let's keep sharing our music. Let's get our music out and develop new ways for people to come to it.

I would like to start a war. A war of music. Let's put music into every place that we can. We have the tools. We have the talent. We need the organization and we need the guts to stand up and say, "Listen, just listen".

Jose

Re: We are the beacon of light.....

Yea, my dad says on cue, "Why can't everyone just make music?" It would be more fun than strapping several pounds of tnt and running into a crowd.

I love how military recruiters STILL constantly call me about joining the military... I tell them I'd like to do music, and they tell me, "duhr.... *scratch* we have the army band ya know... and uh... you could also get into broadcasting..." The keep yakking about how much life experience you'd get, and I want to tell them, "sorta makes that experience moot with your head blown off."

Military has a lot of benefits (being an air force brat myself), but with Bush at the wheel, makes it slightly unattractive a venture.

Nice post, José.

When philosophers ask, "why are we here?", my answer is, "to create".

I'm not a religious person, but if we are made in the image of the creator, then by definition we are intended to create.

Some create music, others paintings, novels, dance and sculpture. Many create products, food, roads and buildings. We create children. We also create joy, friendships, sadness and war. Even those who do nothing create excrement.

Let us be judged by the quality of our creations.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    I just wanted to say something that was on my mind.

People say to us, Why do we have arts?"

Jose
    Because without arts the society would collapse...

SergeD

Thanks Jose.
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Beautiful Jose...

Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    We take something from nothing, sound, and make music. It's a rare gift.
    I was talking to my wife about that just the other day. It's got to be one of the most exciting and unpredictable jobs out there!
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

your are not taking sound from nothing and creating something from nothing, because at some point on a concious level or subconcious you have heard something, some style of music, that will open up your own ideas or influence you in some way, and you dont even know it. Music is created from a constant stream of influence of ideas and sounds, from way back to the Modes all the way through Classical periods, jazz, rock'n roll, etc it's how it evolves...That doesn't mean that one person doesn't have there own voice though, there own style, but it's not something from nothing. Honestly where the heck do you guys think that?
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    your are not taking sound from nothing and creating something from nothing, because at some point on a concious level or subconcious you have heard something, some style of music, that will open up your own ideas or influence you in some way, and you dont even know it. Music is created from a constant stream of influence of ideas and sounds, from way back to the Modes all the way through Classical periods, jazz, rock'n roll, etc it's how it evolves...That doesn't mean that one person doesn't have there own voice though, there own style, but it's not something from nothing. Honestly where the heck do you guys think that?

Space, Nothingness. Sound, travels through space in 4 dimensions. From the listners standpoint from nothing comes sound then music.

From a composers standpoint you have. Inner Space, a nothingness. You put in it your own thoughts and memories of sounds, something and you create music.

Either way you look at it space, the nothingness comes first. Then you put something in it. So from nothing comes something. Or, you take something from nothing: Sound from space.

Jose

Dude what? LOL...look it's like this:
    there is nothing but space 'er yea. then you compose music out of that nothing...unfortunately you seem to forget that music that you have heard at one point or another that will influence you and what you write not matter what it is no matter how original it is, and there is "nothing you can do about it" Blame your brain if you want...

So like this slow jazz piece I am writing right now I am just creating it from nothing (not) I am pretty sure that it's being influenced by a piece in "Ghost in the Shell Second Gig Anime", and maybe something by the Duke even, and who knows what else. There is nothing with in the space? your brain is not just full of space
    If you have heard music, music in different styles whatever, then no matter what you compose some of that music what will fill in the space...
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum