• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO with Finale - Controlling Dynamics and Volume

Share/Bookmark

GPO with Finale - Controlling Dynamics and Volume

Hello,

I simply can't figure it out. I thought it was impossible, and my only choice would be getting a mod wheel, but it turned out I was wrong. I read the following in the GPO Studio help file -

You will be able to achieve the best results by using the GPO Studio "Default" mode, if you are proficient in Finale. The default mode requires for you to set mod wheel values in your score, so that you can hear proper volumes. You can do this by using Finale's Expression Tool to create and insert expressions with mod wheel values. Please refer to your Finale manual for details on the expression tool.

...but how? This makes it sound so simple. You put the expressions in, and it works. But the problem is, it doesn't work. In fact, the only instrument where I heard any difference when using the expression tool was the piano.

I did a search for help on this forum. I didn't understand anything.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: GPO with Finale - Controlling Dynamics and Volume

Actually, it is working. But there is hardly any difference, so you wouldn't even know if you were listening. Is there any way to make the changes between dynamics stand out more? Thanks.

Have you set the playback on the expressions to affect the mod wheel as opposed to velocity or volume?

Also if you are using this method you need to turn Human Playback off.

Of course, instead of using you rown mod wheel expressions, you could use normal expressions Finale and use Human Playback with "optimize for GPO" checked.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

How do I make it affect the mod wheel rather than volume? And where do I check "optimize for GPO"? Do I need 2005 for these features?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by JCarey
    How do I make it affect the mod wheel rather than volume? And where do I check "optimize for GPO"? Do I need 2005 for these features?

Thanks for your help.
    Sorry - you need to 2005 for GPO optimization.

However you don't need it to set up the mod wheel for expression playback.

The interface changed a bit in 2005, and I can't remember step by step procedures for earlier versions, but you need to do something along the lines of (I'm assuming windows version here):

1. Select expression tool
    2. Double click on staff to bring up expression selection dialgue box
    3. Select an expression (single click) and then "edit"
    4. Look for a Playback tab or button to click
    5. Set playback to controller - 1: modulation
    6. Enter a number in the set to value box (0 - 127)
    7. OK yourself back to the expression selection db and add the expression to the score.

It's probably worth reading through the Expression Tool section in the online manual (in the help menu) just in case your version of Finale requires any different actions to the above.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Thank you!

Go Back to forum