• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: OT: Back up your hard drive...NOW!!!

Share/Bookmark

OT: Back up your hard drive...NOW!!!

I just lost 4 years worth of work because my secondary hard drive decided that it wanted to die. On top of it all, I have been too much of an idiot to keep regular back-ups. So learn from my mistake and burn some DVDs right now .

James W.G. Smith

Re: OT: Back up your hard drive...NOW!!!

Yup - I lost all my sequencing files to all my works a couple months ago. Was kind of heartbroken actually - now I can't translate it to notation... I also had numerous ideas I composed for later use. GONE.

Lost a nearly finished album in a crash about two years ago. It's a lesson you never forget!!

Here's a trick: don't have too large a hard drive and you'll have no choice but to back things up. Seriously though, I lost a show I was working on 7 years ago and took so much abuse for it, I have never let it happen again.
    Now I copy all files to CD or DVD and make backups of those. I also have a lot of old scsi drives that I use as extra back-ups now that I don't use them for anything else.

A buddy of mine tells me that a lot of times you can do a data recovery on lost drives, do you think that might work?

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic
    A buddy of mine tells me that a lot of times you can do a data recovery on lost drives, do you think that might work?
    It's true, it's amazing what those services can recover- but you have to want it. They can charge up to several grand.

This is so bad and scary , losing your data !!!!!!!
    I have everything on cd's , on my hard-drive, and on my brother's slave hard-drive ...... now i gotta fear about a fire
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

A few years back I lost a mass of scores I'd taken an entire summer to do on Sibelius. This was before CD-RW came into play and I was too stupid to back up my disks. Now its a religious practise at the end of every session and I take the backup HD/s or disks home with me to an archive cupboard.
    Trev Parks

Quote Originally Posted by T Parks
    A few years back I lost a mass of scores I'd taken an entire summer to do on Sibelius. This was before CD-RW came into play and I was too stupid to back up my disks. Now its a religious practise at the end of every session and I take the backup HD/s or disks home with me to an archive cupboard.
    In the olden days I used to back everything up on floppies and store duplicate copies in at least three different locations. I must admit that I am a bit lazier now, but when my hard drive ate itself last year there was nothing on it that I couldn't find elsewhere....! I am now saving everything to extra external USB drives whilst on a project, and when it is finished I just make an extra copy and file the drive in a store. As most projects are 40 Gb or less it is very cheap to do and much quicker then multiple DVD copies (of which I always make one, just in case...).

Daryl

Good to know i'm not alone on the excessive back up 'bug'

No client wants to hear about how their work got lost/destroyed, no matter how unlikely
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    I just lost 4 years worth of work ...
    James W.G. Smith
    I lost a drive a while back. I called a few data recovery services. While their quotes were expensive, they would have been well worth the cost. i ended up using a PC app called RecoverIT and it was able to recover all of my important data (though not 100% of the data). In most cases, you or an expert can get your data back. Good luck.
    Craig Duke

Go Back to forum