• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Orchestration Duel Entries

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration Duel Entries

Well, here they are! Their entry numbers were chosen at random.

Entry #1
    Entry #2
    Entry #3
    Entry #4

Many thanks to the participants!

You can find the given theme in the other thread if you're not familiar with it, but you will definitely hear it in all the pieces.

Now it's voting time! There are two ways to do this: a moderator posts a poll (I believe only moderators have that power, right?), or users can just post their votes. If the latter, votes wouldn't be confidential, though. I suggest a voting deadline of May 1st? That would give two weeks.

The winner, if willing, will supply the theme for the next Orchestration Duel, if anybody would like to do another, in which I will most certainly participate.

Thanks again to the participants, each piece uses the same theme yet is quite different! It's awesome to see how it each piece puts its own unique twist on it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Orchestration Duel Entries

WOW!! These are great! I had a tough time deciding between entries 1 and 4, but I think 4 showed the greatest amount of emotion and feeling.

So 4 is my vote.

If I had completed and submitted mine, it would have sounded something like a cross between 1 and 3. Just to let you know. I've g2g now, but later I'll post what I was toying around with.

Great job to everybody!

-Chris

Thumbs up Re: Orchestration Duel Entries

Yes, all good and original works. Congratulations to all "duellants"

The nr 3 has still some mix and expression imperfection (pressed to finish?) and some "citation" (The Simpsons theme?), but it's IMHO developing and harmonizing the theme in the more rich, exciting and natural way.

Then even if all the other works are sophisticated, original, and really well done, I want to let my instinct vote, and I VOTE 3.

They all come from the same movie, only 3 should be moved to the last position – as such:

1. Opening shot – an old man finding some mementos of a long lost love – the love of his life - in an old trunk in the attic. As he looks through the pictures, ticket stubs, etc. bittersweet memories are brought up. The best days of his life now long past…

2. Meeting the love of his life. A kaleidoscope of images as he keeps almost meeting his dream woman. She is always just one step in front – he gets on a subway train as she is getting off, he is in a café and sees her walk by, etc. At the very end it shows them walking side by side, talking.

4. The end of the relationship. Scene starts with him walking, looking down, very sad. Other people are around, but you don’t understand yet. Flashbacks to the terrible phone call, images of him walking dejected in the rain with no hat or coat. Back to the original scene and we see he is walking in a funeral procession. Back to him hanging up the phone and then kicking the table over, then walking aimlessly in the rain and finally back to the funeral as the casket is lowered into the grave.

3. Part of the closing credits. We are supposed to remember the high points of the movie, not the tragic ending. Maybe this is actually the last scene as he remembers only the good times –flashbacks to some of theses scenes. At the end a voiceover – “How different life could have been – should have been – but even if I had only spent a moment on my life’s journey with her I would consider myself blessed. Instead I had eight glorious weeks, weeks of sunshine and smiles. Blah, blah, blah, get out the hanky time….” Then to the credits.

I'll vote later...
    Trent P. McDonald

Here's the link to what I had so far of my peice. It is obviously unfinished, and I didn't use GPO for this version. For my first draft I use my VSC DXi which is basicly a DXi of a typical soundcard's sounds. It opens with a flute, if you can't tell.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/6913

It won't work for a while. The site says that it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours (from when I posted this) for the link to work.

Reguards,
    Chris

Nice work from all contributors. I enjoyed hearing everyone's 'vision' of the common theme.

I'll have to go with No. 4. The mood really strikes me. Also a nice use of tone color in the work. Also the simplicity of the work is a plus to my ears.

I would love to participate in future 'Duels' when time may allow for me to do so.

Thanks for the time you've put into these works and for sharing them with all of us!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

No 4. The winning touch was to lower the penultimate note of the given theme to a minor seventh which, supported by the orchestral colouring, lent the tune a modal quality it otherwise didn't possess. A jab below the belt perhaps, but the jury must decide.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    They all come from the same movie, only 3 should be moved to the last position – as such:

1. Opening shot – an old man finding some mementos of a long lost love – the love of his life - in an old trunk in the attic. As he looks through the pictures, ticket stubs, etc. bittersweet memories are brought up. The best days of his life now long past…

2. Meeting the love of his life. A kaleidoscope of images as he keeps almost meeting his dream woman. She is always just one step in front – he gets on a subway train as she is getting off, he is in a café and sees her walk by, etc. At the very end it shows them walking side by side, talking.

4. The end of the relationship. Scene starts with him walking, looking down, very sad. Other people are around, but you don’t understand yet. Flashbacks to the terrible phone call, images of him walking dejected in the rain with no hat or coat. Back to the original scene and we see he is walking in a funeral procession. Back to him hanging up the phone and then kicking the table over, then walking aimlessly in the rain and finally back to the funeral as the casket is lowered into the grave.

3. Part of the closing credits. We are supposed to remember the high points of the movie, not the tragic ending. Maybe this is actually the last scene as he remembers only the good times –flashbacks to some of theses scenes. At the end a voiceover – “How different life could have been – should have been – but even if I had only spent a moment on my life’s journey with her I would consider myself blessed. Instead I had eight glorious weeks, weeks of sunshine and smiles. Blah, blah, blah, get out the hanky time….” Then to the credits.

I'll vote later...

Trent - cool idea! Maybe we can get JessH to do a Hash animation with his "aliens". ;-)

I like all of these, and all for different reasons...not an easy decision. Since we have a couple of weeks to vote, I think I'll burn them all to CD and listen for a week on the morning drive.

Good work, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    Trent - cool idea! Maybe we can get JessH to do a Hash animation with his "aliens". ;-)

I like all of these, and all for different reasons...not an easy decision. Since we have a couple of weeks to vote, I think I'll burn them all to CD and listen for a week on the morning drive.

Good work, folks!
    GPO Forum - The Movie Yes, Jess' alians might work (Trent writes as a thinnly disguised way of bumping the thread back to the first page).
    Trent P. McDonald

I am having a whole bunch of trouble deciding wich to vote for.

THey are all excelent. Each one is very creative and shows the orchestators abilities.
    I think I will keep listnening to them daily, it may help me decide. 3 days and counting....... tomorrow will be four.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Go Back to forum