• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie a bit confused (what else is new?)

Share/Bookmark

Newbie a bit confused (what else is new?)

I'm probably considered old-school now , but I've been using my Kurzweil K2VX with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for about 6 years now to fulfill my songwriting and scoring needs and I think it's time for an upgrade. I need something to produce some realistic orchestral scores as well as some synth sounds. I've been reading tons of posts about system requirements for GigaStudio 3 Orchestra which has definitely caught my eye. I'd like to build a dedicated system for it, but I think I have a pretty decent one already. Trouble is, I use other applications like Visual Studio .NET for programming and Cool Edit Pro for sound editing regularly (consider them side hobbies).

I would like to be able to continue using other applications which may require significant resoruces, but is there any way I could use what I have already (with some inexpensive upgrades) to get GigaStudio 3 Orchestra up and running smoothly on the same machine?

Asus P4P800 Deluxe 800 Mhz FSB
    P4 2.6Ghz 512MB cache HT
    1GB DDR 400Mhz RAM
    2 x 80GB SATA 7200RPM drives
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS card (not GSIF compat.)
    Old gameport MIDI Adapter with IN/OUT/THRU connecting my Kurzweil to the SoundBlaster.

I also have a PIII 933Mhz 512MB at my disposal.

What would you recommend I do? I'm also a little confused about the digital audio sound cards like ones by M-Audio and RME that I might (?) need. Do I absolutely need a new sound card?

Thanks for your replies!

Ben
    bdp973

Re: Newbie a bit confused (what else is new?)

You can run GS alongside a sequencer which is Rewire compatible. That way you can use the sequencer as the audio output. GS will show up as audiochannels in your sequencer in Rewire mode. In that case you don't need a GSIF compatible soundcard.

If you want to run GS on a dedicated machine and your sequencer on a differemt machine then you need a GSIF soundcard.

Another way is to use FX-max Gigastudio adapter. Go to their website to read for information.

I prefer the first one i run all my apps on one machine.

You have all except one to run GS3. I agree that you can run GS3 in the re-wire mode and use the Soundblaster card. However, for running simpler and better I would recommend to buy a soundcard, something like M-Audio 2496, which is GSIF compatible you do not need a MDI interface with it and it is less expensive than Soundblaster. You can run Cool Edit and Cakewalk on the same machine ( I do exactly that on a very similar machine as yours.) You do not say what Windows you are running, mine is Windows XP Professional, SP2, but XP Home version is OK too.

Good luck

Ted

You may want to look into some of the Virtual instruments such as Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) which costs around $249. It includes the sample player engine and also comes with Overture SE which will allow you to create scores. Overture is integrated with GPO so you can use the sounds within Overture.

You may also want to check into upgrading Cakewalk 9 to the latest version of Cakewalk which is now called Sonar 4. The newer versions allow you to use VST plugins and also comes with a few to get you started. There are a quite a few VSTi synths available which give you emulations of various synths. Check out both Arturia and Native Instruments for starters.

Thanks for your comments. I am running WinXP Pro with SP2. So if I understand this correctly, if I choose to put GS3 and Cakewalk on separate machines, then does the GSIF-compat sound card get installed on the machine with Cakewalk and it drives the sounds coming from GS3 on the other? What if I wanted to use my Kurzweil keyboard as a MIDI controller?

What orchestral sounds come with the GS3 Orchestra edition? And how does it compare to Garritan? I'm willing to spend a little extra money to have the most versatility.

Thanks,

Ben
    bdp973

Quote Originally Posted by bdp973
    I'm willing to spend a little extra money to have the most versatility.
    Thanks,
    Ben
    bdp973
    There's a contradiction in there somewhere ....
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe 800 Mhz FSB
    P4 2.6Ghz 512MB cache HT
    Keep that, but turn off HT. GS3 gets inconsistent results with HT on.
    1GB DDR 400Mhz RAM
    You may want to double that.
    2 x 80GB SATA 7200RPM drives
    Add two more, as large as you can afford. One for samples and one for GIGA Pulse. Later you may also change the 80s for larger ones.
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS card (not GSIF compat.)
    Depending on the way you use GS3. If you open Cake9 and use GS as a ReWire pligin, no problem. If, however, you use GS as the "host", where you open GS and register Cake9 as the sequencer within GS, you will then need the GISF card.
    Further, Rewire only addresss one port in GS, giving you sixteen channels, whereas, with GS as the host, you have access to all eight ports. 128 channels!!
    The bad news is that in Rewire mode, you can render in "CPUtime", meaning as fast as the computer will. In GS mode, rendering is in realtime.
    Confirmation from the experts, please.
    Old gameport MIDI Adapter with IN/OUT/THRU connecting my Kurzweil to the SoundBlaster
    It's time to park it. Some audio cards come with MIDI I/O.

Have fun!
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

The orchestra that comes with GS3 is pretty limited and is missing some basic instruments. Check out the Garritan.com website for what is included with GPO.

Maybe I will build a dedicated a system for it and use my exsting P4 system as the DAW with the sequencer.

BTW, is GPO considered a stand-alone application or is just samples which I could import into GS3?

One thing which I'm not sure if I understand exactly is how the # of MIDI channels and banks directly effects polyphony in Gigastudio. With my Kurzweil K2VX, I definitely had limited polyphony which was said to have "24 voices"... but to me that's misleading because each instrument could occupy anywhere from 1 to 4 voices depending on its complexity. So what should my expectations be on TRUE polyphony if I wanted to reproduce a full symphony orchestra--assuming I had a similar system described above? I'm thinking of voices as 1st vln, 2nd vln, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clar, bassoon, trmpt, trmb, horns, tuba, timpani, harp, perc. How would you likely map these "voices" to MIDI channels and/or banks?

Thanks!

Ben
    bdp973

If latency (playback responsiveness) is a driving factor, don't do any virtual instruments like GPO. Virtual instruments, as well as ReWire mode, have significantly worse latency. And for rendering, you'll likely prefer the sound quality of GS pianos over the GPO piano.

The best thing to do IMO is run Giga by itself on one machine. Then run your sequencer on the other. That's what I do and it works really great. I advise that you let GS3 run on the better machine, and run your sequencer on the other one.

Latency is still an issue, but it's as small as I could realistically hope for. It really feels and plays solidly.

For the lowest possible latency, get a GSIF2-compatible sound card that has an integrated MIDI port. This will allow you to access the "kernal-level MIDI" functionality of the GSIF2 standard and have the lowest latency possible.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum