• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Favorite Drum Loops Methods ??

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Favorite Drum Loops Methods ??

With all the great tools out there to enhance our looping experiences, I was wondering---How do most of you work with drum loops?
    Do you use a program like Stylus RMX, Intakt, etc., or do you prefer to play parts in using a sampler?
    If so, which programs?
    How about audio?
    Does anybody still arrange individual .wavs in their sequencer?

Thanks in advance for your input and insights.

Re: OT: Favorite Drum Loops Methods ??

I like to use RMX and edit the hell out of the loop, and I also use pHATmatik to play with found loops, but most of all I like to creat kits in Logic with exs sampler, play them, process them, record them and import them as Apple Loops. Recycle lets you do the same in RMX too, so depending on where I want the loop to go I'll use that.

I have a ton of industrial (factory) and home sounds (kitchen percussion etc) which I have made loops from. I usually do a clean and an fx version of those. I keep a wav file for pHATmatik, and either an Aiff for Apple loops or a REX file for RMX (sometimes both). I also keep the one shot sounds in a seperate folder so I can use them with i-Drum.

I have Percussive Adventures 2 as well and it is pretty cool, but the problem with a lot of these plugs is that the core library tends to get overused. Still, there is a lot of individuality that can be put into them (especially with all the parameters RMX has).

I do all of the above........ Just depends.

But, RMX is my favorite new toy for that.... it's a must have for loops.

KID

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    I do all of the above........ Just depends.

But, RMX is my favorite new toy for that.... it's a must have for loops.

KID
    I agree. I've had it for months and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of its possibilities.

The reason I asked the original question:
    While I know my own personal preferences have been shaped by RMX, I'm basically trying to get a sense of the marketplace as a whole.

Anyone else care to chime in?

I principaly use Stylus (not RMX for the moment). I start to work with midi and then record the loop in DP. I finish the editing with DP. That is the best way for me.

RMX! RMX! RMX! RMX! (continues chanting while dancing around the studio...)

Between the built-in loops, expansion libs and REX imports, thee's enough interest to go for a long time. The Chaos function is the greatest drum loop tool since the sampler. End of story.

The next upgrade HAS to be a live drummer who owns all the world percussion instruments (and knows how to play them) along with multiple drum kits - AND can read my mind...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent JUILLET
    I principaly use Stylus (not RMX for the moment). I start to work with midi and then record the loop in DP. I finish the editing with DP. That is the best way for me.
    You know you can upgrade to RMX...right?
    (seems that not everyone is aware of this)

It's a very good deal, especially if you bought Stylus in 2004 (which is a free upgrade)

You can do it right on the web site in the techshop area when you are ready:

http://techshop.spectrasonics.net/

spectrum

True... I wasn't aware that I could upgrade for just 99 bucks, till Gabe told me.

I was also unaware what that 99 bucks would get me. It's a totally new instrument from the ground up (it seems, I don't know tech crap ).

Honestly it's a must get upgrade.... no two ways about it. It's like going from Miroslav to VSL for 99 bucks....

KID

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    You know you can upgrade to RMX...right?
    (seems that not everyone is aware of this)

It's a very good deal, especially if you bought Stylus in 2004 (which is a free upgrade)

You can do it right on the web site in the techshop area when you are ready:

http://techshop.spectrasonics.net/

spectrum
    Yes I know that, I probably will do that soon. I saw the demo, RMX looks terrific.

When it comes to drums and manipulating loops, nothing beats a tracker

Go Back to forum