• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mixing of RMX Demos

Mixing of RMX Demos

Hey everyone,

Absolutely love the new RMX demos, and the wimpy player jukebox as well!

Does anyone have any suggestions or input on how the mixes were done for these? Was it pretty much 'out of the box', or was there any additional plug-ins on the output, like compression, or adaptive limiting, etc.?

Perhaps some of the demo creators are here, and can chime in.

Thank you!

Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media

Re: Mixing of RMX Demos

Glad you like them! :-)

Wide range of hosts used to create the demos. (Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase SX, Ableton Live, Sonar, etc). All of them were mixed in the box. (except Hans-Jorg's...he explains below)

Buss compression varied a lot and many different things were used, from Adaptive Limiting in Logic, to T-Racks, to Isotope Ozone, Waves and others.

Some (like Tobias' demos) were mastered by the author, but in most cases, the 24 bit/44.1k mix files were sent to me and I did the final mastering and editing in my studio.

For most of the demos that I mastered, I used this analog mastering signal path:

Digital out of the Mac G5 to-> Apogee ADA-8000 D/A converter-> Manley Massive Passive Equalizer-> Apogee PSX-100SE A/D converter-> digital out to Alesis Masterlink recorder.

This analog chain allows be to capture the highest sound quality of the best sounding converters with an excellent stereo passive equalizer...all while staying at 24 bit resolution.

Then after I transfer the mastered mixes from the Masterlink back to the computer, I do my final tweaks in Bias Peak...adjusting dynamics and editing various passes together to get the maximum dynamic effect that I'm looking for.

The most important ingredient in this whole system is my control room itself, which has great acoustics and helps me really get a sound that I know will transfer well to any medium snf playback well on different systems.

Before I finalize the mp3 file, I monitor the mix on different speakers (Genelec 1032s/8050as, Yamaha NS-10s, Mac and Windows laptop speakers, car stereos, boom boxes, etc) and D/A converters (Presonus Command Central, G5 and Powerbook built-in audio, Panasonic 3700 DAT machine) and if it translates well to all of them, then it should work just about anywhere and sound really good.....HOPEFULLY!

Finally, I make a 320k mp3 file using Itunes. I've been looking for another mp3 converter on OSX, but haven't found anything I like better yet. LAME codec seems to get better results on the PC side than I have been able to achieve with the Mac LAME codecs....not sure why. Still looking for the killer mp3 converter. I want to find out what codec George Massenburg is using with Peak...anyone know?

Hope that helps!

All the best,

I usually just use a little Vintage Compressor magic on each track, and the Imager to reduce some of the stereo movement. This makes it easier to place the various parts on the virtual sound stage, allowing the listener to hear the individual parts better. A hint or reverb on a given Element can also help to 'place' it in its own space. I may also take out some bass on competing Elements (if they each have lots of bass built into the groove). I also usually add Logic's Adaptive Limiter on the stereo master, at maximum +3dB.

It just hit me I've never asked you Eric how you master your stuff. Very interesting.

I'm composing and mixing in SX3 (WinXP) but I only used the build in effects for RMX. Exported the unmastered mix in 24 bit wav, opened it in Soundforge and mastered everything using Waves and UAD-1 plugins.

A typical plugin chain can look like this: Cambridge eq (uad-1), Waves LinMB, Waves L3, Waves L2.

Last thing I do is to downsample it to 16-bit (I use Soundforges built in tool.. anyone know a better way to do it?) and encoding it to mp3 using EAC http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ and LAME codec.

My stuff is mixed out of the box.
    I send my Logic tracks to the 16 outputs of my two fireface800s into a Dangerous 2buss and from there into a Drawmer 1968 compressor just to warm and tighten things up a little.
    Didnt apply any mastering to my tracks because i knew Eric would do that.

BTW Eric do you use the mastering version of the Manley or the regular one?

LAME codec seems to get better results on the PC side than I have been able to achieve with the Mac LAME codecs....not sure why.
    Perhaps the Mac is just a LAMEr platform? (Sorry, I'm sounding like HH now, it's just a joke, no flames please. DP is my sequencer, so I feel I have a right to comment - I love the machine, hate the business practices. Somebody tell me to get a Jobs. )

I wind up mixing to final from DP as AIFF files, networking to my mastering PC and tweaking levels and tails from there, but Eric, you've given me some serious food for thought about expanding/enhancing my process. Thanks.
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    BTW Eric do you use the mastering version of the Manley or the regular one?
    Standard model.....main difference on the Mastering version is just the detented knobs. Both sound the same.

I actually find it really handy with the normal version to have the adjustable gain knobs right before the A/D, particularly since Apogee doesn't seem to believe in using knobs anymore!

spectrum :-)

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Perhaps the Mac is just a LAMEr platform?
    I think what I was trying to say was that the PC is truly LAME, and the Mac is only attempting the true LAMEness....

This is very interesting. So it appears the demo creators really didn't do too much on their end - perhaps remove some low-end, adjust imaging, and perhaps compression. Then Eric grabs it, sends it to an outboard equalizer, and makes some final adjustments in Peak.
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media

That's because Eric and gang already did such a fantastic job on the sound of their grooves and samples!!! And this is not hyperbole.

Go Back to forum