• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is It Real or Is It GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Is It Real or Is It GPO?

Cantible sent in this rendition of a random excerpts from Rimskey-Korsakov's works. Do you think it is it real orchestra, GPO or both?

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/WhichIsGPO.mp3

Gary Garritan

Re: Is It Real or Is It GPO?

Real. The double bass strings have a lot more guts to them than GPOs. Plus the runs are way too good. There may have been some GPO mixed in there towards the end (trumpet).
    Thats my opinion.
    Chris

Prolly a Mix. Real @ first, but seems to change several times.

Stevemitchell

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Prolly a Mix. Real @ first, but seems to change several times.
    Yes, real at the top, but I hear at least two edits, switches over and back.

Mix. Agreed, but wow . . . many could be fooled . . . including me if I wasn't listening intently to the work.

I love to hear these side-by-side comparisons.

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

I am going to go out on a limb and say from the beginning up to 16 seconds is real, then 16 seconds to 23 seconds is GPO, then 23 seconds to the end is real. There is a very noticeable bad splice at 31 seconds to throw you off. I have decided this by listening to the MP3 on the cheap computer speakers, not the studio monitors.
    Good job with GPO regardless!, not the splicing though

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Cantible sent in this rendition of a random excerpts from Rimskey-Korsakov's works. Do you think it is it real orchestra, GPO or both?

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/WhichIsGPO.mp3

Gary Garritan
    Just to clear one thing up. The splicing is intentional and obvious since the segments are not meant to be played/heard in actual order and are random excerpts from Rimsky's music. Curiosity had the best of me and I wanted to include one mockup into a bunch of different real random segments. The splicing/mix was not a concern, only to insert something from GPO into a bunch of random "real orchestra" RK music was the goal. I think there was a miscomunication when I sent that.

I know the splices were not expected to be seamless.
    So, what is GPO and what is real?

As it has been said here before... inquiring minds want to know.

dpDan

Smile Re: Is It Real or Is It GPO?

I listened, but I'm not sure. I'm on laptop speakers, so it is tough to make a sound judgement. I'll say this, whatever is GPO sounds real. If nothing else comes from this, we should see some tutuorials on how to accomplish such realism!

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Cool Re: Is It Real or Is It GPO?

The trick is also the background noise that make everithing more real, then it seems to be also a matter of overlapping. Isn't it Cantible?

IMO first two sections are very difficoult to replicate in GPO for sound and articulation. If they are GPo, probably some additional sound manipulation is added.

The last sections are more possible, even if very well done. I think the 3rd.

Go Back to forum