• Register
  • Help

Topic: Toccata for Brass5

Toccata for Brass5

Here's a new work from the Brasspig entitled Toccata for Brass5. This work is quite energetic and not easy to perform. There are some extended ranges (higher register in horn especially) and some technical passages.

The first couple measures came by accident actually as I was showing Finale and GPO to a friend. I liked what I heard and continued on from there.

Please let me know what you think. I'm mostly concerned about the form of the work. I won't say more to taint your opinion.

This is recorded right out of Finale and GPO without any expression editing (yet).

Toccata for Brass5

Thanks for listening!

Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Thumbs up Re: Toccata for Brass5

Very good beginning for the toccata, it starts like toccata should start - with fast rhythmic patterns and scales. Very good!

The chorale part around the middle of piece, I think you should try to have good voice-leading very much in mind. Some parts are too weak because of not so good voice-leading, IMO.

The end is very good!

Btw. this seem to be tech. challenging piece but I know you are brass player so you know what you're doing - I hope!

Great job!

my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Toccata for Brass5

Thanks, Falcon, for listening and the comments. I agree the chorale does need some work. It's the weakest portion of the work and voice leading is part of the problem. I'll work on 'repairing' this section.

This is quite technically challenging, especially the trumpet 16th note licks at the beginning. Fingerings are odd, but, being a trumpeter myself, they can be worked out with some rehearsal.

I hope to perform this work with our brass quintet at our college.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your valuable critiques!!

Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Thumbs up Re: Toccata for Brass5

Nice creation, I think that the performance will be a success.

People like during concerts energy and melody, to keep the attention and create immediate emotions.

This piece has both energy and melody, and after your refinement will be really rich. I agree with the need of voice leading refinement as a main concept:
    personally I think that the single line must be more important than the harmony. If you sacrify the beauty of an internal line for a better harmony, it works only in omophonic phrases (all instruments playing same rhythm).
    If you sacrify a little the harmony for a better melodic leading of internal voices, it works everytime, because the player will "sing" his part with more human expression, if it's melodic. (I hope it makes sense in English)
    Of course the perfect counterpoint is creating perfect harmony with perfect melodies, but it's not so easy with contemporary harmonic "dense" grouping (frequently you "need" a note to complete the chord, and it's far and less natural after the previous notes of the closest voices...)

Very good work, keep us in the loop.

Re: Toccata for Brass5

Great job!

I don't think the problem in the chorale (if there really is one) is the voice leading. I think the bass is too repetitious (just a tiny bit), so that it becomes hard for the voice leading to be done. It may just be that the tuba was too loud in that section. Either way, I don't think it really needs to be changed if you like what you got there. I think the inner voices are kind of tasty, my self. You could tell the tuba player and trupet players to lay back so the Horn and Trombone can be heard.

Ahhhh.... fond memories of my trombone days!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum