• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Share/Bookmark

Smile Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Hi all,

here's me playing this famous choral prelude by J.S.Bach on the GPO organ - live!

Listen! (6mb)

Enjoy!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Smile Re: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Really great Falcon1,
    I am really enjoy everytime I hear something Bach.
    But given your post I suppose you re an organist, right?
    Organ has been the first keyboard istrument where I have put my fingers!
    It sounds really fantastic!
    Great work and congratulations you are a very good organist!!
    best,
    Roberto

Re: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Hi Stefan, do you have any real recordings of you playing your church organ?
    I don't think anyone here would object to that.

btw, since you and I are both nitpickers, I will say that at :44 seconds the top part (melody) (theme) whatever you call it was buried by the "other" manual/voice that came in and is that way pretty much through the rest of the piece. It's just totally different than all other renditions of this piece that I have heard before. It's just a mixing/volume issue for those instruments or voices, ..... well actually.... "stops"
    Great playing though!

dp

Cantata 140 is one of my favorite Bach's choral works. The whole cantata is a masterpiece in the figurate-choral art.

The nice Organ transcription of the accompanied aria is probably one of the "best of...", but anyway a deep and surprising composition work.

What stops are you using to record it?

Thanks Roberto, and yes I'm an organist and teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Stefan, do you have any real recordings of you playing your church organ?
    I don't think anyone here would object to that.

btw, since you and I are both nitpickers, I will say that at :44 seconds the top part (melody) (theme) whatever you call it was buried by the "other" manual/voice that came in and is that way pretty much through the rest of the piece. It's just totally different than all other renditions of this piece that I have heard before. It's just a mixing/volume issue for those instruments or voices, ..... well actually.... "stops"
    Great playing though!

dp
    Hi DPDAN, yes I have some but unfortunatly they got somehow lost during me moving. Those were also recordings from my student years. However, I'm planning to record an CD with me playing hopefully within a year or so. You will be first to know!

Yes, the counter-line is somewhat buried that's true. I'll try to fix it next time. However, there are endless variations on how this piece is played and registered. Some play it slowly but I think that's not correct, this an kind of joyful dance in "heaven". I'll post a another version were I try to follow Bachs own registration of the piece.

Again thanks to both of you for your comments!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Post Re: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Cantata 140 is one of my favorite Bach's choral works. The whole cantata is a masterpiece in the figurate-choral art.

The nice Organ transcription of the accompanied aria is probably one of the "best of...", but anyway a deep and surprising composition work.

What stops are you using to record it?
    Manual 1 (c.f.) = Full Organ, Brustwerk all stops
    Manual 2 = Hauptwerk all stops, Prinzipal
    Pedal = Baroque Plenum Pedal
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

DPDAN, ah! Maybe my old school has copy of some of the recordings. I'll contact them and find out.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Hey Stefan!

This is well done! Congrats!

I love this piece, always have. Your approach is unique. I usually hear something along the lines of the flutes stops playing the main melody (the one that comes first) and a trumpet or cornet stop playing the countermelody (coming in at near 44 or so). I like yours very much.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hey Stefan!

This is well done! Congrats!

I love this piece, always have. Your approach is unique. I usually hear something along the lines of the flutes stops playing the main melody (the one that comes first) and a trumpet or cornet stop playing the countermelody (coming in at near 44 or so). I like yours very much.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry, thanks for your comments!

Of course this piece is one of Bach's masterworks, but as always has caused much disscussions about interpitation and registrations of the piece.
    Now, according my sources Bach did write down what stops he wanted to have for it. And in the version I post now, I'm using stops which he wanted to have (8',8',16'). Listen!
    I solved it with GPO-organ by using the flute stop for the swell, and also for the pedal - simulating 16' pedal stop. Then I used the Prinzipal stop, transposed down an octave.

Now, another issue of great debate is the tempo of the piece. My interpretation is that this is a dance with joy, even though man need to watch out not going overboard.
    In my oppinion this choral prelude is intended for the 2nd verse of the hymn -
    Sion hears the watchmen shouting,
    Her heart leaps up with joy undoubting,
    She stands and waits with eager eyes;
    See her Friend from Heaven descending,
    Adorned with truth and grace unending!
    Her light burns clear, her star doth rise.
    Now come, Thou precious Crown,
    Lord Jesu, God’s own Son!
    Hosanna! Let us prepare to follow there,
    Where in Thy supper we may share.
    So I find it wrong to play it slow or even very slow, this should be played in Moderate tempo but with careful consideration of articulations etc. because too fast then you loose the clarity of the dance rhythm.

Regarding my registrations, I like the both ways - that's to use what Bach wrote himself (8',8',16') or going the other way and play the dance with strong registration like in my first version. But I'm sure that many will disagree.

Again Jerry, thanks for the comment!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Hi Stefan,

I agree with your interpretation of the tempo as well. I haven't heard very many "slow" versions of this - and I have heard quite a few different interpretations. The 8'/8'/16' intentioned stop set by Bach also can have quite a few varations in actual sound, but still keeping with this stop set. An 8' flutes stop sounds much different than the 8' cornet one, but both are 8' stops. So, there is still a lot of wiggle room in which ones are chosen. I think your selected stops for your newest version of this are great.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum