• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to use GS 3 with Sibelius 3 (and no BS of Death)

Share/Bookmark

Question How to use GS 3 with Sibelius 3 (and no BS of Death)

Hi, all!!

I just bought Gigastudio 3, and own Sibelius 3.0. I want to load my string samples into Gigastudio, and have Sibelius play them. Problem is, every time I open Sibelius and Gigastudio, Sibelius totally drags, hogs the system resources, and crashes my system. I have tried setting Sibelius as the Sequencing program in GS. I've tried loading GS first, loading GS second, all to no avail. I'm running the following system:

Dell 4600 2.6 GHz P IV
    1.5 Gigs RAM
    Echo Mia MIDI
    NVida 128MB ProForce Graphics Card.

Can someone who's doing Sibelius and Gigastudio point me in the right direction as to how to set this up? Online resources, threads, anything? Thanks a ton, guys!

Mike

Re: How to use GS 3 with Sibelius 3 (and no BS of Death)

Have you tried setting a different audio driver in Sibelius. My bet would be on a driver conflict.

Hi! Thanks for the advice; I went over to Sibelius, looked at Kontakt Player, and found the audio drivers. There are only three settings on the Kontakt Player; ASIO, MME, and Direct Sound. GSIF is not a listed option (which I thought would be the right format to change it to). When I changed it to MME, the whole Sibelius App froze up. So, I restarted and got it back to ASIO.

I deactivated Kontakt Player, and only activated GigaStudio. I opened up Gigastudio 2nd; the same thing happened (computer got really slow, hung, and I had to restart). It's not like I'm crashing the computer, it's whatever processes I'm running are hogging up the CPU.

What do you guys think might be causing this?

Mike

I also have heard good things about Maple MIDI from this forum. Do any Sibelius users use that to map Gigastudio onto Sibelius? If so, I may give that a try.

Sibelius won't need the GSIF drivers, only Gigastudio needs them.

As far as Maple goes, you don't need them since Gigastudio already installs its own virtual midi ports for its own use. You should see them on your outputs in Sibelius. They were (in the 2.5 days) labeled Nemesys Port 1, etc. or something similar. You'll need to use these to get Sibelius to communicate with Gigastudio at all. This still doesn't fix the other problems though.

I understand exactly what you mean. When I open up Sibelius, Gigastudio ports 1-8 show up. So I know the drivers are loaded correctly. Is it better to start Sibelius first, deactivate Kontakt player, and *then* start Gigastudio? Or should I start Gigastudio first, and open up Sibelius as a sequencer in Giga?

Mike

I use Giga 3 and Sibelius 3 without any problems. The Blue Screen of death might be the result of Midi Feedback.

Make sure your input device in the 'Devices' window of sibelius 3 (under Playback) is not your GSIF midi interface and does not have midi thru selected!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will cause a Midi loop, or midi feedback, and it will always crash your computer! Also, you might want to consider disabling midi thru or midi out in giga (since giga is presumably your final destination for midi messaages).

Also, make sure you have the most current Giga and Sibelius updates.

Let me know if that helps. I have alwyas gotten the two to work without problems.

Go Back to forum