• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    205

    GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Hi,

    Has anyone successfully loaded GPO Library from a high-speed memory stick?
    Such as this FireWire pocket device:
    http://www.kanguru.com/fireflash.html

    The range is from 128Mb to 4Gb (!), from $55 to $650. The claimed transfer speed is 400Mb/sec, which would make loading patches quite snappy...

    Would it work? Better, faster, than from the hard disk?

    Robert

  2. #2

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Out of curiousity, other than the New and Groovy factor of playing with the latest technology, what's the benefit of putting samples on a memory stick as opposed to the hard drive? The latter is a much cheaper medium...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    205

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Out of curiousity, other than the New and Groovy factor of playing with the latest technology, what's the benefit of putting samples on a memory stick as opposed to the hard drive? The latter is a much cheaper medium...
    I was just wondering whether it could be just faster than from the HD to load (seeking the Instant Patch Load Graal).

    Robert

  4. #4

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    I was just wondering whether it could be just faster than from the HD to load (seeking the Instant Patch Load Graal).

    Robert
    Ah, good point. Actually, both USB 2 and Firewire (see Neo's specs above) are, I believe, significantly slower than the random access and throughput time of most any internal hard drive (see the manufacturer's site for your hard drive to check the specs).

    Your theory is good in terms of memory versus disk i/o. If you had it all loaded into an internal virtual ram drive (see "ancient DOS history"), it would be blazing. The bottleneck is the throughput of the USB and Firewire interfaces, so your internal hard drive still has the performance edge.

    You'll find the USB/Firewire memory devices most useful for transporting large amounts of data from one machine to another, which could come in handy when you want to carry an audio session with lots of wav files back and forth between studios.

    Of course, if it's just a matter of you having a lot of spare money to burn and not knowing what to do with it, give me a call. My studio could always use a few upgrades...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  5. #5
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    I have two from Micro Advantage "Quick Drives". One 1 gig and a 5 gig. The biggest advantage is being able to copy and save full Cubase projects, take them over to my partners system and work from them there. Simply better than saving to CD or DVD. http://www.microadvantage.net
    Styxx

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    205

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Quick Drive claims an actual read speed of 3.5 Mbyte/s (like most USB keys).
    I wonder whether Kanguru's speed (Firewire-based) of 400 mb/s (meaning 50 Mbyte/s) is pure theory. If this is actual r/w speed, that could be interesting.

    Robert

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I have two from Micro Advantage "Quick Drives". One 1 gig and a 5 gig. The biggest advantage is being able to copy and save full Cubase projects, take them over to my partners system and work from them there. Simply better than saving to CD or DVD. http://www.microadvantage.net

  7. #7

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Quick Drive claims an actual read speed of 3.5 Mbyte/s (like most USB keys).
    I wonder whether Kanguru's speed (Firewire-based) of 400 mb/s (meaning 50 Mbyte/s) is pure theory. If this is actual r/w speed, that could be interesting.

    Robert
    Throughput for USB 2 is 480 megabits per second, and for IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is 400 megabits per second.

    Quick Drive is quoting in megabytes per second, Kanguru is quoting megabits per second, so it's not an apples to apples comparison. No matter how fast the memory inside the device, the bottleneck will be the USB / 1394 data transfer rate, which is defined by the spec, not by the manufacturers.

    Hard drive data transfer rates are quoted in megabytes per second, and a quick perusal of most SATA internal drives shows a transfer rate of around 100 megabytes per second, as compared to the 3.5 in Quick Drive's details. So, for performance, USB 2 and Firewire don't come near the specs of an internal hard drive. For convenience in carrying large amounts of data from one box to another, however, they're extremely cool.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    205

    Re: GPO Library on FireWire memory?

    Throughput for USB 2 is 480 megabits per second, and for IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is 400 megabits per second.
    I think these values are max theorical rate. Even if a device is USB 2, it doesn't mean it can reach that speed (and it sas nothing to write versus read)

    Quick Drive is quoting in megabytes per second, Kanguru is quoting megabits per second, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, it is! Mbit/sec = (Mbyte/sec)*8 (400 Bit/sec = 50 Mbyte/sec)

    Robert

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •