• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Whats on your bookshelf?

Share/Bookmark

Whats on your bookshelf?

Hi everyone,

Last week I had the opportunity to meet Sam Adler, the author of one of the music textbooks that has greatly influenced me. (more about that below) So I was wondering what everyone has on their bookshelves.

I have a pretty large library of scores and music text and reference books. I keep them tucked neatly away in my studio closet for easy access. However, there are 5 books that i referebce so often that they sit prominantly on a literal pedestal right next to my piano. They are:

The Grammar of Conducting: Max Rudolf
    Music Notation (a Manual of Modern Practice): Gardner Reed
    Pocket manual of Musical Terms: Schirmer
    Twentieth Century harmony: Persichetti

and at the top of the stack

The Study of Orchestration: Samual Adler

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: Whats on your bookshelf?

Oooops i just saw the thread on orchestration books. Maybe this should go over there. Maybe a mod can move this.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Eh don't worry about it Andy It's cool where it is. Where do I start? I have scores on at least 20 musicals, New Harvard Dictionary of Music, The Art of Conduction by Donald Hunsberger & Roy E Ernst Second Addition, The Beatles Complete Orchestrations, FireSide Book of Folk Songs (1947) arranged by Norman Lloyd, Edited by Margaret Bradford Boni, Harmony and Voice Leading second edition by Edward Aldwell & Carl Schachter and way too many education text in music to list. Favorite score book is West Side Story. The Beatles Unseen Archives by Tim Hill and Marie Clayton. How to Sing Like A Squished Cat on A Rainy Sunday Afternoon by Clarice Simpleton and Cliff Schmottz.

So, why do you ask? Are we having a huge yard sale soon?
    Maybe a mod can move this.
    Ah, we Moderators don't really have as much as you think. As a matter of fact, PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!
    Styxx

I have a lot af theory and ochestral book:

The walter Piston Orchestration book, the four volume of Koechlin orchestration book, the korsakov principle of orchestration, The samuel Adler book, the persichetti Harmony of the twentieth century, a French book called "la musique à l'image" de Maurice Coignard, The schoenberg Harmony book, Art of conducting, and a lot of other theory book, it's a kinf of drug for me!!

I put an excpert of my score list in the other post on orchestration. But I have many classical guitar score, Some John williams orchestral score, and many and many other things!!!!!!!

All of this thongs doesn't help me to be a better composer, one day maybe.But I think talent he the most important thing and I discovered really talentued composers in this forum.

PS: I love speaking about ochestration and musical theory, but my english is too poor for the moment to really express me clearly!! arrgghhh!!!!!

Wow, there sure is a lot of dust on this self!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent JUILLET
    arrgghhh!!!!!
    This is the clearest English ever spoken on the forum!

My shelf is packed away so I can move as soon as the house sells, but I have this stuff (and more I can't remember):

The Technique of Orchestration by Kent Kennan and Donald Graham
    Treatise on Instrumentation by Hector Berlioz and Richard Strauss
    The Structure of Harmony by Arnol Schoenberg
    The Rimsky-Korsakov Orchestration book (Can't remember the name)
    A book of scores that I can't remember the name of. It is like the Norton Scores, but yellow and one book.
    Counterpoint by Johannes Fux (tr. Alfred Mann)
    The Study of Fugue by Alfred Mann
    Composition by Ways and Means by Ernie Kohls

I want to get hold of a book written by a student of Paul Hindemith about his counterpoint system. It is really wonderful and I lost my copy!

I still have some of my texts from college including Music History and Conducting
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick
    Hi everyone,

Last week I had the opportunity to meet Sam Adler, the author of one of the music textbooks that has greatly influenced me. (more about that below) So I was wondering what everyone has on their bookshelves.

I have a pretty large library of scores and music text and reference books. I keep them tucked neatly away in my studio closet for easy access. However, there are 5 books that i referebce so often that they sit prominantly on a literal pedestal right next to my piano. They are:

The Grammar of Conducting: Max Rudolf
    Music Notation (a Manual of Modern Practice): Gardner Reed
    Pocket manual of Musical Terms: Schirmer
    Twentieth Century harmony: Persichetti

and at the top of the stack

The Study of Orchestration: Samual Adler

The Adler book has been so valuable to me and I have used it so much that about 3 years ago I had to order a new copy because i had read mine into oblivion. Its a marvelous text that has an accompanying CD and CD ROM so you can hear and see all the examples in the book.

Last week, when Gary was visiting New York, he invited me to meet Sam Adler. So often our heros in life are those stars of the publics vision. But, for me, this man and his book were so greatly influencial in my developement as a composer and orchestrator that he holds the reins of one of my great music heros even though I think i have seen his picture only once on a website somewhere.

Sam invited Gary and I to dinner and then we all headed back to his office at the Julliard School to chat and take a listen to an exciting new composition of his. For me, it was a great and exciting evening. Sam was a terrific host and it was a wonderful honor to meet him.

Andy

Well, I have a good collection:

The Walter Piston series (frequently referred to)
    Alfred Mann, Study of Fugue
    Arnold Schoenberg
    Gardner Read (very important to me)
    Strauss-Berlioz
    Cecil Forsythe (getting worn)
    Schillinger (least used, least understood -- comments sought on this one)
    Alfred Einstein
    Plenty of books on acoustsics, piano construction, tuning temperaments
    And a long list not so often referred to. Total, around 2000. Want a list?

But moving to the top of my list of books to buy: Adler .

Richard

OK, here goes:

The Enjoyment of Music by Machlis
    An Outline History of Music by Wold and Cykler
    The Technique of Instrumental Music by Caldwell
    Form in Music by Berry
    The Pocket Guide to Harp Composing by Rees-Rohrbacher
    Electric Sound by Chadrade
    Counterpoint by Keenan
    Structural Function in Music by Berry
    Elementary Training for Musicians by Hindimith
    The Artisit Way by Cameron
    The Lives of the Great Composers by Shonberg
    An entire Collection of Norton Histories of Music including Anthologies
    The New Harvard Dictionary of Music by Randel
    Multitudes of Scores, Fake books, Anthologies and educational books
    Somewhere around here I have several Orchestration books and Shenkariean Analysis books.

Cripes, that's enough. I have an entire wall full of books in two gigantic book shelves that I built last fall. This list could go on for a while!

Jonny

Oh, I also have a couple of shelves devoted to Batman and other DC comic books too!
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Looking over at my top book shelf.... (in order on the shelf...)

Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (4.5 inches thick!)
    House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
    On Writing by Stephen King
    Principles of Orchestration by Rimsky (revised by Peter A)
    The Cinema 4D Handbook by Watkins
    Macromedia Dreamweaver MX H-O-T (Hands On Training)
    and a bunch of TapeOp back issues...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

For the years while I am in college, the library is my bookshelf! I have everything.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum