• Register
  • Help

Topic: Timpani Polyphony

Share/Bookmark

Timpani Polyphony

Hi,

I am currently writing a piece that has a very active Timpani part. In some sections there are multiple measure of quick triplets that I would like to sound without the dampening effect of the sus pedal function.

The problem is that within a measure or two my system overloads and I get all sorts of crackling. Im on a g4 dual 1.2 with 2 gigs of Ram. GPO is a plugin to DP4.2. All tracks are live but the Timpani. I guess I could render to audio but would like to avoid that if possible. Is this just a polyphony problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: Timpani Polyphony

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick
    Hi,

I am currently writing a piece that has a very active Timpani part. In some sections there are multiple measure of quick triplets that I would like to sound without the dampening effect of the sus pedal function.

The problem is that within a measure or two my system overloads and I get all sorts of crackling. Im on a g4 dual 1.2 with 2 gigs of Ram. GPO is a plugin to DP4.2. All tracks are live but the Timpani. I guess I could render to audio but would like to avoid that if possible. Is this just a polyphony problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy
    Sounds like polyphony overload. You can try lowering it by increments in the GPO player until it doesn't drop out anymore. You can always render it to audio later when your done and mute everything and just record that at its full polyphony or what it can handle before it dies out. Same thing can apply to the harps or instruments with long decays. Alot of the time to keep everything in midi, you can set the polyphony lower on instruments that have longer decays. Try limiting.

Hope that helps.

Are there any other instruments playing the same rhythmic figure in time with the timpani's. If so, try lowering the polyphony on them first if you wish not disturb the polyphony for the timp.
    I recently had the same issue and resorted to this method which gave me satisfactory result. If not, try Cantabile's suggestions alone or in concert. Also, check your mixer settings and make sure no track is clipping. Another source I encountered and relieved by lowering the culprit channel.
    Hope this helps. If not, I'll come over there and play the part in myself!
    Styxx

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. There are no other midi tracks at this point. Its a live orchestra tracks and midi timpani. I think it must have been processor overload. When I mute all 40 audio tracks and insert the occasional pedal damper I get much better results.

Thanks again,

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Oh heck I forgot! Check the velocity as well. This can cause all sorts of clipping noise if it is maxed out for the majority of notes played. Make sure there are no "duplicate" hidden notes as well. There, you will have to do quite a bit of balancing between other instruments in order to have the timp sound out clearly in the mix.
    Again, hope this helps.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick
    Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Well, if I am understanding the problem, the overload is from the tympani. If so, simply reduce the polyhony in the player to 13. This works well for long tympani rolls, ought to work here

Richard

Yeah, try lowering the polyphony on the tympani, you may have it too high. Only have it set to as high as you need it.

i use this trick:
    first, lower the polyphony even to a very low value, and then write your part.
    when you think that your part is "good", set an high polyphony, mute all the tracks except the timpani, and render the timpani part in audio. then mute the midi timpani track and use the audio track. of course, every modification to the timpani part would mean to re-render the audio track

this is a sort of "freeze function for the dumb", but sonar 2 (my sequencer) doesnt implement this yet.
    and of course i don't think this will work in a notation progam

Andy, lower the polyphony LOL !

dpDan, just kidding everyone!

Go Back to forum