• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HARDWARE POLYPHONY POLL

Share/Bookmark

HARDWARE POLYPHONY POLL

I am interested in upgrading my GS systems, and would like to hear what systems are acheiving the 160 voices or even close to that number.
    What motherboard, processor, hard drive, and RAM configurations are you using?
    Responses are appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: HARDWARE POLYPHONY POLL

Danny,

Believe it or not I am getting the full 160 voices on my Gateway PIII550, 256 ram, (2) 13.5 ultra dma 66 7200 rpm hard drives. The only thing different that I have done is follow the suggestions on the Win 95/98 optimizing list. I posted the link to this awhile back under software (I think).

Donnie
    DS Soundware

Donnie,
    Are you getting the 160 Voices with the Giga piano??

Danny,

Actually I have not used the giga piano in any of my compositions. The main instruments I have been using are: Quantam Leap Brass, Advanced Orchestra, X-Sample Brass, and Ultimate Orch. Perc. (of course). I\'ll try and do an experiment with the piano when I get some time and I\'ll let you know.

Donnie

Danny and everyone, just in case I wanted to tell you about a Maxtor-related topic in the \'Hardware\' root-directory of this forum. There is an issue with installing Maxtor drives with other manufacturers\' drives present on the system that you guys might want to be aware of. Might save a bunch of time and maybe a couple of grey hairs :-) (for one night I thought I lost 50GB of gig and vst files.)

Danny, I\'ve just put a system together for Rob Kral, and also assembled one for Chris Beck last year and for myself this year. Every time it\'s a new configuration because of new (faster and cheaper) parts coming out every month. It\'s no big brainer though. I\'m researching a new setup for Rob\'s friend and can let you know what\'s best at this point. I can say that in my particular case, it\'s important that I work with a guy who only knows how to put a quality machine together out of parts I ask him to include. He does no sound card/software installation -- only raw PC stuff. The best place to get lowest prices on any PC part is Pricewatch.com. One major thing many people try to emphasize here is that you need ultra-fast harddrives, maybe even SCSI. In my personal experience, using two-three 8.5 ms ATA drives is good enough as far as the drives go. I think SCSI is a little overkill for Gigastudio for now, especially if you already have another PC/Gigastudio system to run along. I\'d suggest that if the funds allow, you only use the latest of IBM harddrives (right now, it\'s the Deskstar 75GXP), and only use and add harddrives of the same brand within the same computer. Harddrive BIOS is the major reason for that. Maxtor harddrives work fine on my system (along with IBM HD, but what a nightmare I went through in order to get all of them to work together). I\'ve also noticed that the harddisk compatibility a lot of times depends on the motherboard. Don\'t same money on the motherboard, and of course you know not to use anything except for the fastest Intel Pentium processor. On the memory side, I\'d wait until a 512MB RAM chip comes out, and install 2 of those, since most of motherboards now have not more than 3 DIMM slots. There\'s a bunch of other things to consider. If you still need help with getting your new Gigastudio machine together, please let me know via private email, alex@kharlamov.com, I\'ll be glad to help you with it.

Hi Alex,

\"and of course you know not to use anything except for the fastest Intel Pentium processor. \" Why is this? I\'m going to be upgrading my processor and mobo soon, and it sure looks like an Athlon system would be a lot less expensive. I thought people were running GSt pretty well on Athlons (with maybe some problems with certain soundcards) - is that not true?

>>>>
    I am interested in upgrading my GS systems, and would like to hear what systems are acheiving the 160 voices or even close to that number. What motherboard, processor, hard drive, and RAM configurations are you using?
    <<<<

Some preliminary results:

Dedicated PC
    500Mhz K6-2
    FIC VA-503+ Motherboard
    128 MB RAM
    2x 4.3G SCSI IBM 8.5ms 5400RPM Ultrastar ES
    MIDIMan 2044 Audio Interface

Using Kevin Moreland\'s Kawai Piano Gig, I got up to 120 or so voices before it reached 90%+ utilization and the display would stop updating. At that point I would start getting crackle. I backed it down to 110 voices and it\'s very happy. Just for kicks, I tried GSt on my main machine (866MHz Coppermine) loading the sample over the network (100Mb ethernet). Utilization never went over 40%, voices maxed out at 138 with crackle. I guess I\'m at the limits of those hard drives. I\'ll have to try Gigapiano on the main machine to see if I can get 160.

I think my efforts show that you can get excellent results on a well set up, low end machine.

killerbobjr,

Yee-ow! I can\'t get much over 60 voices in GSt with my K6-II 500 mhz - I was thinking the K6 was to blame, but I guess not! I\'ve done all the tweaks in your post on dedicating a PC to GS; my hd is WD EIDE, 9ms, 7200rpm. Maybe the hd is the problem?

I agree with Ursatz about the Athlon/Intel saga. There is new CPU on the market called Duron. It is low cost Athlon and it has great FPU performance, is very easy to overclock and is very cheap, too. www.tomshardware.com

The benchmarks showed that Duron FPU is 30-40% faster then PIII/Celeron at the same speed.

I would like to hear some athlon users here, so we can find out how it is keeping up with Intel CPUs. I am sure it will be better.
    Other audio software (such as Reaktor and plugins) also works better with Athlon cos of its strong FP unit.

About HDD, I must agree with Alex K. and say that IBM are the best choice outhere, namely IBM 75GXP. It has better access time then Maxtor, and it is pretty quiet, too. www.storagereview.com

take care

Go Back to forum