• Help

Topic: Woo-Hoo! Real Computer!

Share/Bookmark

Woo-Hoo! Real Computer!

So I just got my P4:

Pentium 4, 2.93 GHz
    1 Gb DDR Ram
    1x120 Gb 7200rpm SATA HD
    17" LCD Monitor (I know-it's giga irrelevant, but man....I'm from 15" town.)

Everything seems to be working just fine. Much more room to play around.

Question: What's the more important first upgrade: The all-important second gig of ram, or the all-important second hard drive?

Re: Woo-Hoo! Real Computer!

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Question: What's the more important first upgrade: The all-important second gig of ram, or the all-important second hard drive?
    2nd hard drive. It's not an option or upgrade - it's needed to make the GS system work.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    2nd hard drive. It's not an option or upgrade - it's needed to make the GS system work.

Ernie
    I Believe you....but I just hit 210 voices at 24 bit res. 3 gigapulse instances (including gp's 2 instances). I'd almost go buy something like opus 1 right now instead. Damn this vicious cycle.

Thanks,
    Belbin

Question Re: Woo-Hoo! Real Computer!

What makes the hard drive upgrade so much more important than the RAM?
    Why is it so important that application data be on a seperate drive than the samples?

Just curious.

-Chris

EDIT: Oh my gawd!! Y'all stay up late around here. Just saw the posting times.

Hehe. It'll happen to you too when you get that snazzy computer to put your copy of giga on!!

Early to bed,
    early to rise.
    The sleep ya gets is inversely proportional to the number of new toys ya buys.

Anyway, Chris, look at the section called "recommendations" on p 18 of your manual. It explains the reason for the separate hard drives. Although ernie is right, you can still use GIGA on a 1-drive system. It's just that if you want ridiculous polyphony, zero latency, no skips, clicks pops etc (IE...You've got a large orchestra score due in two weeks, it needs to be the biggest orchesra possible, totally convincing quality. One crash/failed playback and you've missed your deadline.), then that second drive can go to town on your samples only while the first one worries about your software, OS, hardware etc. This signigicantly lowers the likleyhood of dropouts and similar issues while greatly improving overall performance. I've had problems where my DAW and Giga PC are the same, both with a boatload of plugins running, then trying to do a mixdown....ain't workin'. Ernie' right.

What makes the hard drive upgrade so much more important than the RAM?
    Why is it so important that application data be on a seperate drive than the samples?
    That way the hard drive has less spinning aroound to find and play the sound. Don't forget that the hard drive will spin when you tell the application to play, add a track, record, save .... e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g you do spins the HD. Add to that, searching for and playing the sound files, especially if you didn't de-frag' recently.

Then there is the other issue of safety .... if your application HD crashes, all you do is re-load the apps. With everything on the same HD, well .... "gone for channa" ....

The same goes for audio that you record, so eventually you really want to have three HDs or HD systems:- Applications (one drive), Audio Data (one, maybe two in RAID if you record lots of it), Sample Libraries (preferrably two in RAID because of the size of the libraries).

The good news is, you'll still need more RAM ....

EDIT: Oh my gawd!! Y'all stay up late around here. Just saw the posting times.
    You gots to do what you gots to do ....
    That plus, maybe there is a time difference between New jersey and where the other guys are.

Have fun.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    The good news is, you'll still need more RAM ....
    Yeah, I guess the question is not "what do I need", or even "what do I need first", but, "where can I find someone to pay me thousands in down-payments to work on a production with a deadline that gives me enough time to ensure reliability of the system?"

Answer that for me and I'll stop harassing you kind forum-ers.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Yeah, I guess the question is not "what do I need", or even "what do I need first", but, "where can I find someone to pay me thousands in down-payments to work on a production with a deadline that gives me enough time to ensure reliability of the system?"

Answer that for me and I'll stop harassing you kind forum-ers.

Belbin
    The "Holy Grail" of the composer/studio operator/engineer/producer ....
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Thanks guys for answering my questions. I really didn't think of all that. Thank you very much for your insight.

-Chris

Go Back to forum