• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A new piece

Share/Bookmark
    Mayor

A new piece

Hello everyone,
    I've been 'lurking' around this forum for a while now, having bought the wonderful GPO a few months ago. Unfortunately time's at a premium and I don't have much of it spare with other committments, but I finally managed to pull a piece together and submit it here for your esteemed opinions/tips/suggestions etc.
    The piece itself isn't actually finished really - I see it as the opening section of something a little more substantial like a concert overture etc. but that depends on the time I have available. I've called it Foron's Return - there's no good reason for that!

You can access it here

As I explain on that page, I recently took the plunge and 'modernised' my gear - having spent the last 10 years in a time-warp!! - using Notator SL on an old Atari and a Yamaha SY85 and EMU Proteus 2 combination.
    Now I'm using Sonar 4 Producer Edition and a Pentium 4 running at 3GHz.

GPO is like a dream come true for me, and for thousands of others I guess - I never believed in my wildest dreams that this sort of resource would ever be affordably available (or even unaffordably come to that!!).
    Mr Garritan - you're brilliant!

Anyway, that's enough for now - I'd be grateful for any feedback and thanks in advance for your time.

Re: A new piece

mistersynth, I like your piece, the melody is nice.
    I like the orchestration too, you are very talented.

It's great to have you here JB!
    dpDan

Quirky and fun little piece. Keep 'em coming.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Smile Re: A new piece

I really enjoyed your new piece - composition, orchestration and mix.
    Bravo!
    Bosco Adama

Mayor

Smile Re: A new piece

Thanks guys for the quick response and the nice comments.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    It's great to have you here JB!
    dpDan
    It's great to be here DPDAN

Glad the mix got some approval - I really struggle getting things the way I want them to sound - and I'm not sure that I ever do really! although I seem to spend forever trying )

Hi JB, I too spend alot of time getting the sound just right.
    After all, the notes are only half of it, and sound is the other half.
    It is sad that people getting into midi, also have to learn audio engineering. Both require alot of time and talent not mention experience.

You did a great job! Perhaps a little too much reverb for me, and I am a real nitpicker but it's still very nice!

Dan

MisterSynth:

A great job with GPO and a very nice orchestration.

How long have you been working with Sonar 4? I purchased it a number of months ago, but have been working with a different program since last summer. However, I now have a PC also and would like to try Sonar 4 if it is not too time-consuming. I have been introduced to and used a lot of programs: Finale, Sibelius, Logic, Digital Performer, etc., etc., so I know a little bit about sequencing and notation programs.

Great work.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    the notes are only half of it, and sound is the other half.
    It is sad that people getting into midi, also have to learn audio engineering. Both require alot of time and talent not mention experience.

You did a great job! Perhaps a little too much reverb for me
    Dan
    Hi DPDAN,
    You're absolutely right, you really need to be a master of all trades in this game to get really professional results. When I was first starting out, none of this existed at all and I'm really impressed by much of the stuff I've heard here. I just wish all these resources had been around when I was young and full of energy and when my poor old brain could take it all in!
    I'm just glad I had those years with Notator because it gave me at least a basic insight into sequencing and MIDI. My trouble is that I bought all the new stuff at one go. It's opened up a whole new world of possibilities - but it's presented me with a trillion questions I don't know the answers to ...yet!
    Thanks for the comment about the reverb. Yes I can be a bit heavy handed with it - in fact in this case it's something I paid very little attention to!! I'll look at it again.
    Regards,

John

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    A great job with GPO and a very nice orchestration.

How long have you been working with Sonar 4? I purchased it a number of months ago, but have been working with a different program since last summer. However, I now have a PC also and would like to try Sonar 4 if it is not too time-consuming. I have been introduced to and used a lot of programs: Finale, Sibelius, Logic, Digital Performer, etc., etc., so I know a little bit about sequencing and notation programs.

Great work.
    Hi Rhap2
    Many thanks for your kind comments.
    As for Sonar 4, I purchased mine around October 2004 but I haven't had much time to play with it yet. Having said that though, I think it's really quite intuitive and from what I've seen so far it's extremely powerful. Got to bear in mind that I have nothing to compare it with except what I've read in magazines and forums like this. All in all I'm really happy with it. I've picked up some really useful tips on this site too.
    As I said earlier in this thread - my problem (not that I'm really complaining!) is that all the stuff I bought -at once- has presented me with a learning curve on a par with Everest! - I'd never heard of virtual synths before last October and Audio capability in a sequencer was something that had left me behind years ago. So I've been trying to get to grips with:-
    GPO - which is fantastic but I found needs working with entirely differently than the hardware synths I'm used to.
    Sonar 4 and all the effects and plug-ins that entails
    Arturia's Moog Modular V - wow that's breathtaking too
    The unforgiving nature of digital audio !
    For what it's worth, my advice would be to give Sonar 4 a good go - with your experience of all those programs you've used, it shouldn't be a mammoth task for you.
    Good luck!
    Regards,

John

It could be due to my headphones, but I think in the beginning the strings are bit too loud as they make the brass hard to hear. Other than that, the orchestration sounds great, especially when the solo violin comes in. Very well done, I enjoyed it, I look forward to more of your work.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast