• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: COMPOSITION SEMINAR - Part II

Share/Bookmark

COMPOSITION SEMINAR - Part II

HAHAHAHAHA! Finally, the third assignment! I thought I would give you all something to do while I still catch up on checking people's assignments.

FORM: Passacaglia (More info below) - This is important, as it is the focus of the exercise.
    INSTRUMENTATION: Violin, Viola, Cello. (Ahhhh, strings at last)
    MOTIVE: See below.
    TIME SIGNATURE: 3/4

Passacaglia: This form ends up being the motive. A Passacaglia is a form in which a short ostinato is repeated over and over again while the other voices play counter melodies. The passacaglia does not have to be in the same voice every instance, but it may not be transposed, inverted, reversed, shortened, or lengthened.
    Follow these guidelines for this exercise:
    - - Passacaglia ostinato is four bars long.
    - - Ostinato starts in the cello, but may move to the other voices.
    - - Include articulations, slurs, dynamics, tempo markings, etc.
    - - Be aware of string techniques other than pizz and arco.
    - - If you write using common practice harmony, this exercise will be harder because then you will be getting into counterpoint... so think MODERN!
    - - Most Passacaglias are in 3/4, so let's keep this in 3/4.

I will post an example of a Passacaglia tonight, so you guys may want to wait to start until then unless you feel confidant you understand the form.

From en.wikipedia.org:

One of the best known examples of a passacaglia in classical music is the one in C minor for organ by Johann Sebastian Bach, BWV 582. A later example is the finale of Josef Rheinberger's 8th organ sonata. Perhaps the most frequently heard passacaglia, however, is the finale of Johannes Brahms' Symphony No. 4 (although Brahms did not explicitly call it a passacaglia, it follows the rules of one and the repeated figure is based on one found in Bach's Cantata No. 150, Nach dir, Herr, verlanget mich).

Good luck! And if anything is unclear, please ask before writing.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Red face Re: COMPOSITION SEMINAR - Part II

This should be an exciting challenge.

Re: COMPOSITION SEMINAR - Part II

Here is the score for the sample Passacaglia. I will elaborate on this, but it should get you started:

Score (PDF)
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Just wanted to add:

It seems to me that by far the most widely known passacaglia is Pachelbel´s ´canon,´ for anyone looking for a familiar way to latch onto the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Error
    Just wanted to add:

It seems to me that by far the most widely known passacaglia is Pachelbel´s ´canon,´ for anyone looking for a familiar way to latch onto the idea.

Although, technically it is a canon.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Yes, my quotes around ´canon´were unecessary, especially in a forum for learning about music . One point for you .

*thread stealing done now*

Cool Re: COMPOSITION SEMINAR - Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Error
    Yes, my quotes around ´canon´were unecessary, especially in a forum for learning about music . One point for you .

*thread stealing done now*
    More technically it's a canon over a "basso ostinato" ground, then it's a canon, and it's a ground (or passacaglia).

I think the final result is a 1-1....

Very good homework, guys. I can't wait for results...

I used to know a girl that thought it was called the "Taco Bell" canon. Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by scottnorma
    I used to know a girl that thought it was called the "Taco Bell" canon. Seriously!

Oh.... that's just not right! Please, hold the pico sauce on that violin!!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

I am sorry to say there may be a much, much longer delay on checking your works because it turns out I will be able to attend the University of Tennessee School of Music this fall instead of next to get my Masters in Music Composition. That means I have to find an apartment, get student loans, go to Knoxville for an interview with the Professor who will be teaching me, and spend the next three monthes studying for the competancy exams in Music Theory and Music History. Since I have been out of school for 10 years, I have to redevelop my study skills.

I thank everyone for your patience, and keep up composing!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum