• Register
  • Help

Topic: Registration on new computer

Share/Bookmark

Registration on new computer

Next week I am upgrading my computer with a new motherboard and processor, and increasing my RAM to 2Gb. I am wondering if there will be an issue with re-registering my GPO after these upgrades. I would be most grateful for any information about how I go about re-registering - I can't survive for long without GPO!

Peter

Re: Registration on new computer

Quote Originally Posted by chasman1
    Next week I am upgrading my computer with a new motherboard and processor, and increasing my RAM to 2Gb. I am wondering if there will be an issue with re-registering my GPO after these upgrades. I would be most grateful for any information about how I go about re-registering - I can't survive for long without GPO!

Peter
    You will have to go to the NI website and de-authorize your present machine. Then after the upgrade, use the same user name then re-authorize the upgraded computer.

Gary Garritan

Along the same lines: I'm getting a new hard drive to replace my current one once Tiger comes out. And my plan is to start with a clean drive and minty fresh install (my current drive is getting old and acting a little strange at times...like it wants to crash (don't worry, I have everything backed up)).

So will it be the same process for replacing a drive? I will most likely have to reinstall GPO and all my other programs from scratch.

Yes, I just went through the same process (repeatedly) with hard drive reformats, XP reinstalls and (hopefully) finally a new motherboard. Every time I had to deauthorize the old install in order to do the new one, even though it was the same computer (until the new motherboard). It's kind of a cantankerous system that doesn't always work right but persistence pays off; if it gives you errors try rebooting before you go back in.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Yes, I just went through the same process (repeatedly) with hard drive reformats, XP reinstalls and (hopefully) finally a new motherboard. Every time I had to deauthorize the old install in order to do the new one, even though it was the same computer (until the new motherboard). It's kind of a cantankerous system that doesn't always work right but persistence pays off; if it gives you errors try rebooting before you go back in.

Thanks for the help and advice. I now have my computer back, complete with new motherboard, memory and processor, and all is working well...........except the GPO standalone, which is playing the midi piano sound from my soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) along with the GPO sound I load in!

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by chasman1
    Thanks for the help and advice. I now have my computer back, complete with new motherboard, memory and processor, and all is working well...........except the GPO standalone, which is playing the midi piano sound from my soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) along with the GPO sound I load in!

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Peter

I should also add that I have not yet re-registered in case I have to do a complete re-install of GPO to fix the problem, which I have not come across before (except in using midi with a keyboard, where the solution was to turn of midi "local".)

Perhaps I should also say that the GPO Standalone does not sound when I play my midi keyboard (although it did before this computer upgrade) and at the moment can only be played via my computer mouse.

Once again I would appreciate any advice or help.

Peter

Problems solved! The extra piano in GPO standalone was caused by my having the soundcard's synth enabled in the Output Interface. I now have a fully functional GPO and a red face!

Peter

Go Back to forum