• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius and GPO I'm impressed.

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Sibelius and GPO I'm impressed.

Now that I have a computer that can handle anything for audio I decided to start using GPO in Sibelius, the results are Awesome! Really impressed! I just composing a string quartet in Sibelius using GPO with out any keyswitching, just slurs, cress, dim, and dynamics, and it sounding very realistic. Before I would have to load up the midi file in Sonar and bust myA** to get it to sound good with mixing and leveling and all the other production stuff, now though I am just playing it in Sibelius with great results.
    Are others using Sibelius with GPO how are you using Keyswitching? I just started testing this out so really I am fooling around writing a vienna style string quartet. My instruments are first solo violin, second solo violin, first viola solo, and first cello solo.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: Sibelius and GPO I'm impressed.

Great. My copy of Sibelius should arrive in a couple of days. I'll look forward to exchanging tips & tricks.

StrangeCat,

I've been using GPO and Sibelius together for a while now, but just to check writing of parts to be performed by live players. The combination works fine. I tend to use a sequencer if I'm looking to create a recording without live musicians.

Others here have written about using Keyswitched instruments in notation programs, so do a search here or check Gary's GPO site. Some are writing the Keyswitch note below the staff and then hiding the Keyswitched notes.

Separately, be sure to check out the Sibelius/GPO plug-ins on the GPO site...one automatically reads hairpins and fills in the dynamics using the GPO-style modwheel settings.

I'll have to check it out thanks! I was just impressed that GPO is sounding realistic in Sibelius no mod wheel. I think for Orchestration though I would still use Sonar.
    I'll check out the plugins though I dout I need to use them.

The easiest way to keyswitch in Sibelius for GPO, or any other sampler, is to add a note off command. To do this select a note, type "Ctrl-T", then type "~O64". The tilde hides the MIDI message. The "O" stands for note Off. The 64 would be the MIDI note number. Change the note number as needed. Then hit ESC a couple of times to finish editing the message, and to de-select the MIDI message.

-JF

Thanks John Fairhurst! I'll deffinitly give that a try with the midi controllers.

Actually the Human Play in your Sibelius takes a firm grip of the modwheel=cc01 values.

Which is a good thing since it shows that proper dynamics that are musically motivated make a lot of sense for the sound. I remember when I found out in Overture what cresc. and decresc. do for the realism - I was really stunned.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

StrangeCat,

If you get the Sib/GPO crossgrade, you won't need to bother with Keyswitches or plug-ins - all your articulations, crescendi, and dynamics will be realized without having to add any ~C messages. It's worth the $49.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum