• Register
  • Help

Topic: Joseph Schillinger

Share/Bookmark

Joseph Schillinger

Well, thanks to Jess Hendricks, Joseph Schillinger has my interest again. A quick scan shows some interesting ideas, particularlyl, I was impressed by the opening to Book IV, which is surprisingly accurate and current, and which makes a point that I have been trying to make with my organ works over the past year or so.

I would very much like to have some input from anyone who has some experience with the book, at least more than my cursory scanning, and more than the hype from the Schillinger Foundation.

Richard

Re: Joseph Schillinger

Jealousy.... much jealousy!!!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

I saw those books at the local library here and one of these days I hope I can read them. Really wanna.. What is the Schillinger Foundation?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    I saw those books at the local library here and one of these days I hope I can read them. Really wanna.. What is the Schillinger Foundation?
    Well, the foundation seems to have vanished from the web. But check this out for a start.

http://www.berklee.edu/bt/122/connection.html

Richard

I think over time, the strength of the Schillinger method lies in the ability to use mathematical methods to coordinate and generate musical materials... That being said, it can work real well with generating and developing rhythms and tone progressions.... Beyond that, the system is really not very good or useful... I studied it MANY years ago, on the strength that Gershwin had used techniques from it to compose Porgy & Bess... I even got a chance to study with Richard Benda, one of the original Schillinger students... But I could never see creating a whole composition using the Schillinger method alone... However, the rhythm theory in the first chapter and the permutations section are probably the most useful in the book...

P.S. I still have my copies of the Schillinger Books...

Of course no method shoulb be the only method a composer uses. The trick, to me, is to take several methods and create my own. Then the compositions flow like water!

tradivoro: You willing to sell those Schillinger books?
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

tradivoro: You willing to sell those Schillinger books?
    Although I know you're being fascetious, they actually remind me of another era of my life, so I keep them as a memento... It's sort of like my Daniel Riccigliano book on popular and jazz harmony...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Although I know you're being fascetious, they actually remind me of another era of my life, so I keep them as a memento... It's sort of like my Daniel Riccigliano book on popular and jazz harmony...
    Even if you were willing to part, I have yet to find a asking price for these books that is in my range.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Even if you were willing to part, I have yet to find a asking price for these books that is in my range.
    I see what you mean... A cursory search for these shows exorbitant prices... I think I paid like $30 for them back in 1970...

Jess,

My tip is to search at www.bookfinder.com (use "schillinger" and "system").
    There are copies available now for around $300. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I watched bookfinder for a year and a half before I found it for a reasonable price.

Mats

Go Back to forum