• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thick Whooshes as used in transitions etc

Share/Bookmark

Thick Whooshes as used in transitions etc

Im looking for a sample collection of thick whooshes as used in advertisements and transitions in video clips, and also in action scenes in movies. They are sort of like reverse cymbals, but thicker, I can get similar effects by using kick drums with reverb then reversing them. I wonder if there's such a collection available.

For example, the sounds in the beginning of this videoclip, 19 seconds to 1:10 minutes (the making of Soul Caliber 3, top right video) -

Making Of SCIII (03/24/2005)
    http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/736/736896/vids_1.html

Re: Thick Whooshes as used in transitions etc

I don't have it myself...but Composer Jeff Rona's LIQUID CINEMA: Cinematic Impact library probably has what you are looking for. It's distributed by M-Audio.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...pact-main.html
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Trance Fusion sold by Ilio.

It's sole purpose is exactly what you are describing.

Are there any other discs out there with this purpose in mind?

JPS

My recommendations, in order:

1. TranceFusion: Terrible name (it has nothing to do with Trance music), but lots of variety for "Trans"itions (hence the stupid name.) Many are very synthy, but again, you get a lot of variety, so this usually does the trick for me. I also use this a lot for effect between sections of a song. My first choice.

2. Sound Ideas: My most used, bread and butter whoosh (a jet fly by that I pitched up) comes from them. I never use any of the stuff they actually call "whooshes," by the way. I'll generally go to the jet/car passby or animal roars or other non-obvious places in their library. Bad news is, unless you do a lot of audio post, this will cost you a lot of money.

3. Jeff Rona's Liquid Cinema "Cinematic Impact." He has two folders: "Whooshes" and "Wipes" that may be usefull. Lots of tracks, but they're kinda all the same sound. Mostly filter sweeps of white noise. They're also very dark and "cinematic," rather than "friendly."

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Keep in mind that a lot of what you might hear out there in the world is the private stock of talented sound designers working on those projects. It's not all available for sale somewhere.
    Lee Blaske
    Some of it is. Some sound designers private stock has found it's way to this company: http://www.firstcom.com/
    Check out some of the sound titles.

Blow Tools sfx library is also a favorite amongst the whoosh makers....

Tim

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Does anyone besides me think the whole "whooshing" thing is just WAYYY 10 minutes ago? I watched that game trailer, and besides being appalled that somone would actually be interested in that Dungeons and Dragons kind of nerdfest, it was almost like a parody of itself.

http://sound-effects-library.com/

A huge database of exactly what you are after.

Go Back to forum