• Register
  • Help

Topic: physical hardware controller

Share/Bookmark

physical hardware controller

I don\'t want to use a mouse and software mixer for midi controller. My kbrd controller is an old clavinova clp300. can I use something like control freak for ANY midi controller number to use with software like gigasampler or gigastudio or to control fx parameters via midi?.
    equip: pentium III, intel 600mhz,ram 128, cakewalk 9. Not ready to spend 5000$ on a new kbrd yet.

thank you.
    lou

Re: physical hardware controller

Okay,

You may not be ready to spend $5000 dollars on a new keyboard, but what about $699? The Alesis QS6.1 has a pitch, modulation wheel,
    4 programmable sliders, 1 sustain pedal, and
    1 assignable pedal. That\'s your control power. But now you have just added over 600 factory sounds to your arsenal and can expand ast the QS6.1 takes in two 8MB qcards at a time worth of samples. It is also bundled with SoundBridge Software that lets you import Sample Cell, and Sound Designer, Wav, and AIFF samples into your synth. Oh yeah, it also has an internal FX processor so you can take a load off of GigaStudio. It also has 4 aux busses to route your outputs to 2 total audio outs. If you can spare the extra $300, go for the QS7.1 because it has 4 1/4\" audio outputs and a digital optical output, and one additional assignable pedal. By the way, mine came with a foot pedal and of course the soundbridge software. Go for it, maaaannnn!!

peace,
    John

I\'m currently using a control freak with GigaStudio. It works a treat. 8 sliders, 8 buttons, and 2 assignable foot pedal jacks. Any midi controller, sys-ex, NRPN\'s can be controlled from the freak. I\'m having great fun driving FX parameters and filter cutoff from my two volume pedals, leaving my hands free to do the playing.

Essential, I\'ll never look back.

My keybrd does not have realtime controller like mod wheel, can you use control freak simultanuously with keybrd ,how do you patch things out for realtime contrl?

thank you.

Lou

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gigaDiga:
    I\'m currently using a control freak with GigaStudio. It works a treat. 8 sliders, 8 buttons, and 2 assignable foot pedal jacks. Any midi controller, sys-ex, NRPN\'s can be controlled from the freak. I\'m having great fun driving FX parameters and filter cutoff from my two volume pedals, leaving my hands free to do the playing.

Essential, I\'ll never look back.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keyboards midi out goes into Freaks midi in. Freaks midi out goes into soundcard or synth module midi in.

The Control Freak acts as a midi merger and automatically passes all your keyboard playing through to the sound card... it\'s a no loose situation. It acts just like a pitch bend or mod wheel, except it can control pretty much anything you set it up for. Just slider your sliders, press your buttons and your sequencer package should record all your changes faithfully in realtime. Follow the manual and note down the controllers your synth/software recognises and you should find it a doddle to configure as well.

gigaDiga-

Thanks for the insight, I\'m in a similar boat as Lou in that my digital piano is great as a controller except for its lack of pitch-bend & modulation (and other) wheels.

One follow up...from the Kenton website description it doesn\'t seem like the Freak\'s controls have any sort of \"return-to-center\" like a typical pitch-bend wheel, i.e. when you roll a pitch bend wheel up & release, it springs back to center automatically, which is nice for real-time playing/accuracy....does the Freak actually allow this? If not, have you noticed any impediment to doing pitch bends in particular?

thanks,
    Greg

Hmmm...

This is possibly the only draw back with the Control Freak (but I don\'t know of one midi controller unit that doesn\'t also have this problem). None of the sliders return to zero. Instead there is a \"dead zone\" in the center of the slide.

Personally I whent out and bought a cheap Roland pc160 keyboard to complement my set up. It\'s pitchbend wheel is great and it also features yet another midi slider, a cool little keyboard, and various other functions.

What about the Peavey 1600x? Anyone using this one?
    I\'m interested in it because you can group faders, which is good for midi mixing. I know you can group the faders in your sequencer, but in Cakewalk the faders only send Volume. What if you want to group modulation, or expression? Can the Control Freak do this? It looks like the 1600x can.

What did you say? 5000.00 USD?
    Which Soundcard do you have, does it supports multi-clients, digital I/O like ADAT? You are talking about recording or mixdowning? how many audio tracks do you normally have? What is the audio quality you looking for?
    I\'m sorry that many stupid questions? But I like to learn/share this as well!
    Regards,
    LHong

A cheap second hand Palm device and the RMCS software is an awesome cheapo control surface for GS.

Chaos like pads\\16 controllers at once\\mixer\\etc. Slaughters a Peavey for functionality imo and practical live too with the backlight of the palm.

Take a look at the sw\\hw here...
    www.rubiconsystems.co.uk

Go Back to forum