• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dedicated GigaStudio Machine Help

Share/Bookmark

Dedicated GigaStudio Machine Help

I have just recently started evaluating GigaStudio but there is very little information available.(lacking on web site etc.)I would like to buy a machine and use it as a GigaStudio \'rackmount\'. I would like to be able to just buy the hardware, install the software, hook up my midi cables, assign instruments to the 160 channels and let the sequencer on another machine play through the Giga. Is this possible( is someone doing this)? Can someone tell me what specific brand hardware and pieces they use/I need to get this to happen. I don\'t need a technical adventure when I\'m spending this kind of money on software/hardware to give me a sample player. I appreciate all the help you can give me. I don\'t want to purchase this thing if I can\'t just plug and play and use it as if I\'d purchased a regular rackmount sampler. Thanks. Dave P

Re: Dedicated GigaStudio Machine Help

Dedicating a computer to Gigasampler/Gigastudio is not \"plug and play.\" If you want to design around a rackmount unit, you need to find a rack that either 1. a 4U height rack to fit the I/O cards you need, or 2. a 3U or shorter rack that already contains all the I/O you need or a motherboard with all the I/O that can fit in a short rack. Check out http://www.technoland.com , http://www.mitac.com , http://www.evercase.com , and http://www.axiomtek.com for PC rack mount hardware.

Then you gather the right parts that you need to make a rack pc. Then you need to assemble everything and make sure all the parts work together correctly. Then you install Windows, install all drivers, install Gigastudio, tweak the system settings to let GS run efficiently, then you install it in your rack. This is not a trivial matter. There a few companies out there that will do it all for you for a price.

And to answer your question as to if anyone is doing this, yes, there are many of us here who have dedicated Gigasampler/Gigastudio PC\'s that run without any problems. Check out both http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/000147.html for hardware advice and http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum17/HTML/000003.html for how to set up a dedicated system.

Thanks for the response killerbobjr. I had read the post about the dedicated machine, but the other discussing Cool7s_dads purchase of a machine was very helpful. However, I think my post was poorly worded and thus misunderstood. My using the rackmount term was not intended to be literal. What I meant to ask was If I buy a fast machine, with lots of RAM, nice SCSI drives, and a GSIF soundcard am I going to be able to hook a USB multi midi port to the machine and play 160 voices triggered from another machine running my Cakewalk PA9? I don\'t want to run the sequencer on the same machine, I don\'t want to record audio on the machine,I just want the machine to be a dedicated sound module with a lot of polyphony to utilize. Do I need multiple sound cards? I noticed that everyone\'s cards are digital audio recording cards. Why should I have a card that can record audio? I just want a machine that has two harddrives a sound card ( a chaep video card) and an eight to ten USB midid input box. Can I do this? Thanks again. I really appreciate having knowledgeable people to ask about this.

How is the situation with MIDI latency using a dedicated GS machine?
    I will have to route my Sequncer\'s Midi output via the Midi Interface of my Sequencer\'s machine then via another Midi Interface of the GS machine to finally reach Gigastudio and there I will have additional latency of the soundcard. Has anyone noticed a difference in terms of latency between dedicated and integrated Gigastudio?
    Is there a way to have the Giga Midi ports available in the sequencer, thus eliminating long midi cable routings?

Davlo,
    I\'m not sure to Know correctly that what you try to do. It seems be not simple as you thought \"Plug N Play\" Otherwise, Nemesy is the first One would be interest!

Setup new hardware for Gigasampler today is not big issue, any harddisks, CPU, DRAM, Motherboards, chipsets, Video-cards, etc on the shelfs can do the audio jobs (everything about 800.00USD) regardless of Grand-names or not. Am I correct? Of course, not so cheap! (someone already covers it).

What I try to say here is that the sampler sounds for GigaSampler would takes your ton of money...If you\'re talking about the stand-alone solution. Let me ask you some questions: why don\'t you buy a top of the line of Sampler Rack mount module then tell me what do you get? Does it provide everything that you need/want? they are proffessional, just doing that for years! Why it\'s still not satify for you? I just try to see what is your taste in functional, sound quality, inexpensive solution or something else. Of course, I could say that this is a very good idea but before I can describe more, I\'d like you confirm your taste fisrt, just to make sure that we are talking about same things.
    Please note that, my purpose is learning and sharing with all of you as well.
    LHong

Toby wrote:
    \"How is the situation with MIDI latency using a dedicated GS machine?
    I will have to route my Sequncer\'s Midi output via the Midi Interface of my Sequencer\'s machine then via another Midi Interface of the GS machine to finally reach Gigastudio and there I will have additional latency of the soundcard. Has anyone noticed a difference in terms of latency between dedicated and integrated Gigastudio?
    Is there a way to have the Giga Midi ports available in the sequencer, thus eliminating long midi cable routings?\"

Hi Toby,
    The problem you might have between two different PCs (one sequencer and one sampler) is not latency problem, it is a synchronization problem. Anyway, You must to record the audio data somwhere, right? How you do that? (the Sequencer\'s PC or the Giga\'s PC?) and how you overdub the audio-tracks. How does it work? (diagram setup PC1 <--> PC2?). Let\'s say you already had 10 audio-tracks+ MIDI-tracks, later on you want to add 10 more audio-tracks, how you do that? Make sure that you have a multi-client which is supported GSIF driver about 8~32 output channels (more outputs are better), you should be able to run it within a single PC.
    Would you mind to describe more about your setup? I try to understand it correctly that why you want to do that! (maybe I\'m wrong).
    Regards,
    LHong

Go Back to forum