• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Arturia minimoog V 1.5 = WOW

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Arturia minimoog V 1.5 = WOW

http://www.arturia.com/en/minimoog/minimoogv.php

I gotta say, folks, this is a pretty amazing update. They've taken this thing from close to damn-close.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Question Re: Arturia minimoog V 1.5 = WOW

Houston, how, if you're in a position to know, do you think it compares to Minimonsta?

Cheers
    Heath

Re: Arturia minimoog V 1.5 = WOW

Oh man, thanks for the update!! I'm dowloading it now... too bad it came too late to make it on the album but the MiniV still sounds great, even out of the box!! I have had no pangs of regret about using the Arturia plugin over the real thing- not once

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    Houston, how, if you're in a position to know, do you think it compares to Minimonsta?
    Hey Heath - I'm *not* in a position to know in a strict sense, as I've not taken the Minimonsta through it's complete paces on my own. My first experience was at the NAMM show - and through the din and noise it certainly showed off lots of balls and some whiz-bang cool features. Their patch morphing is nice and takes the synth in an entirely new direction that a Moog could never do - that's what I like about these VA synths - lots of opportunities to be true to the spirit of the original while departing into new territory.

I later got to audition it in a controlled environ at a friend's studio, and we both heard things we didn't particularly care for. Then a third person walked in and said "what the hell is that - that's AWESOME!" and my friend and I just glared at each other like "what the ~~~~ is he hearing that we're not?" So to me it's a "to each his own" thing. Download the demo for each and try them for yourself. I think the Arturia minimoog V 1.5 in out in demo form.

For the most part what you're going to see in the Arturia minimoog V 1.5 is a closer one-for-one setting and sound match to the original - if you dialed in a patch using an "original" Moog patch diagram. You'll also hear a more accurate filter, and the triangle and saw are formed more like the original (not symmetrical, and more rounded slope from capacitor discharge in the discrete design). Also, they have put pulse width modulation as a mod destination on all oscillator forms, which take the minimoog into Modular territory. Again - this opens the minimoog V up to options that you never would have gotten with an original minimoog, but a lot of people would have loved to have it at the time.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Again - this opens the minimoog V up to options that you never would have gotten with an original minimoog, but a lot of people would have loved to have it at the time.

Cheers,
    Actually, when you factor in the fact that it's playable as a polyphonic instrument, has an arpeggiator and a few other things it's as close to a MemoryMoog as a MiniMoog in a lot of ways. And still it's more powerful than either of them.

I just got the Minimonsta...and i have to say i love it. That said, is not as authentic to the original Mini moog as the Aurturia version. Doesnt have the fatness and the filters are diff. BUT THATS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT!! Its a highly original quircky beast and the metapatchs are amazing. The aurturia MM is much closer to the original though..yawn.. but an amazing feat of coding and design, its amazing how diff they are ,but both boast the same thing..Rich

I have always preferred the Arturia Mini because it simply sounds better on the low end, which is what I use it for. The MiniMonsta is a better all around vsti and can make some beautiful sounds but I have other vsti's that make similar sounds, I want a good MiniMoog bass emulation and Arturia's version has that punch in the lower registers.

Many complain about the GUI but it was designed for a computer running resolution of 1024 x 768 or better. At 1152 x 864, which I use, it is truly outstanding and gives your eyes the sense that you are playing a real MiniMoog. The MiniMonsta does not do that for me although it's a nice design.

1.5 update has made a great emulation even better. The filters more closely emulate the original than before. Great job Arturia.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontider
    I have always preferred the Arturia Mini because it simply sounds better on the low end, which is what I use it for.

1.5 update has made a great emulation even better. The filters more closely emulate the original than before. Great job Arturia.
    I found that to be true too. Better low end and also the filters are closer to the original..I find all the Ohm synths a little thin sounding actually but the uniquness more than makes up for it... Rich

Well, when comparing ANY minimoog emulation, keep in mind that even two real minimoogs side by side might not sound the same. GMedia acknowledged that the model they based the Minimonsta on was a little quirky, if I remember correctly. That said, I think GMedia generally produces the best VA software around, and the Minimonsta, in my opinion, is no exception.

If we're going to go down that road of splitting hairs, you should know that there are people who "prefer" minimoogs from different years of manufacture by the original company. For "connoiseurs" of that ilk, more power to them. I've got music to make.

Go Back to forum