• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need help finding the Best Rondo

Need help finding the Best Rondo

Hello fellow composers,

I'm currently a music student taking an analysis course, to which our next assignment is to analyze a piece in the form of a Rondo, and I have yet to gain enough music experience to weed through the masses of music and find a gem. Does anyone have any recommendations of good pieces in Rondo form?

Sure, I could go to my library and take the first book of Mozart piano pieces and find a Rondo that will fulfill the requirement, but if I'm going to be spending time analyzing a piece, I would love to gain some new insight into composition in the process. So I'm wondering if anyone can help narrow down or focus my search to "the best of the Rondo."

I know this is a weird question to ask, but I am very impressed with the quality of musicianship here and just had to post.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Re: Need help finding the Best Rondo

The last movement of the Beethoven Violin Concerto is a fine example of rondo form.

If you want something more modern, Berthold Goldschmidt wrote a stand alone work titled Rondo (that is, of course, in rondo form) which also happens to be for violin and orchestra.

Fur Elise is in rondo form (abaca)

Some ideas:

I love the Rondo in C minor for piano by Mozart. A beautiful piece, but might take long to analyze since it lasts around 10 minutes and lots of notes.

There is also a small rondo Beethoven wrote when he was very young that is worth looking at. It is such a wonderful and fun piece of music. It is called Rondo a Capriccio Op. 129 ("Rage Over a Lost Penny"). Evgeny Kissin has recorded a great version of this very difficult piece. Smile comes on the face of anyone who hears it.

Personnally, if I had to analyze a Rondo, I would probably go with one of these two.

And if you want to have a little fun, there's always the Blue Rondo a la Turk by Dave Brubeck Quartet.

Good luck!
    Martin Lachance, Composer

The first movement of Bartok's Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion is in a kind of Rondo form, although, as with everything Bartok does, the form is rather clever and wouldn't be as obvious to analyse as Mozart or Beethoven.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The finale of Stravinsky's Octet for winds is also a great example of twentieth century Rondo form. Also, check out some Shostakovich string quartets for Rondo's in addition to the above mentioned Beethoven and Mozart. Final movements of classical concerti are usually in Rondo form, one of my favourites being the Emperor by Beethoven (though as always, Beethoven "pushes" the form beyond previous expressions of it). For clarity I would opt for early Beethoven or Mozart (or Haydn) even though everything I have mentioned is worth studying it may be best to start with the most clearly "academic" rondo form.

Good luck,

Last movement of Beethoven's Symphony No.2 in D is a rewarding piece to spend time with too.

A traditional favorite from Mexico called "La Raspa". It's under 2 minutes.

Well, classical Rondo was actually the result of the French Rondeau, which was already used by Guillaume de Machault in 14th century.

It's funny how Beethoven used the Rondo form a lot in his earlier works, almost abandoning it later.

Strauss' Till Ulenspiegel is a great example, and so is the finale of Mahlers' 5th.

between this place and that place

hmm the last movement of this string quartet I am composing will be a Rondo.
    Really though Rondos? There are those Rondos that are totally perfect in form do you want to study that, or do you want to see how the form is pushed but still a Rondo? I would first study Mozart for form then go on to Romantic period and then away from it. Schubert did large Rondo Form...a Lot of Jazz is Rondo Form ahh hell most if not all of it is, it's great for Jazz, see C part is the solo improvisation part. Anywayz start small man Typical Classical Rondos then study what they did after it

study ABACA then go crazy with codas, intros, larger varations of the A and B, etc....
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum