• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's the Poop on Vienna Opus 1 Orch?

Share/Bookmark

What's the Poop on Vienna Opus 1 Orch?

OK, this is a big price drop for Vienna. Is this thing worth getting? Is anyone out there using it?

Thanks

Peace

Rik

Re: What's the Poop on Vienna Opus 1 Orch?

If you go up one level, to Sample Library Discussions, do Search This Forum with the word 'Opus', you'll find 227 topics. Should be more than enough to answer all your questions about Opus. Just to get you started, check this out: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...highlight=opus

PS: You can also visit VSL's forum. Lots of Opus users there.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    OK, this is a big price drop for Vienna. Is this thing worth getting? Is anyone out there using it?

Thanks

Peace

Rik
    I'm not sure what the price drop is, but VSL products are consistently excellent.

I'd just like to say that the collection of woodwinds in Opus 1 are extremely good. In fact, aside from the oboe, I believe they're the best winds I've heard anywhere outside of the concert hall. The Strings are also very good, especially when one learns just how to use the performance tool on the Performance Legato patches. (I say this because I've had Opus 1 for a few months now and am only just now figuring out how to really use it...) The brass I'm not really that impressed with, to be honest, but that's just me.

Anyhow, all I wanted to say was that, for me, even without the awesomeness of the performance tool, Opus 1 is a great lower-priced choice. If you haven't already, go ahead and listen to the demos of it at the VSL site. The Ravel mockup is particularly impressive IMHO. (I was playing it on my speakers when researching the library, and my roommate, who's a fine violinist, came out of his room and wondered what orchestra it was. He realized it was sampled soon after, but for a few glorious moments, it had him fooled.)

My two cents. Hope it helps.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    I'd just like to say that the collection of woodwinds in Opus 1 are extremely good. In fact, aside from the oboe, I believe they're the best winds I've heard anywhere outside of the concert hall. .
    Imagine how good they must be in the full edition!

Ed

It's a great package. You get most of the most-used articulations of the Pro edition without what some would consider the "fat" and at a much more affordable price. They will deduct what you paid for Opus 1 from the upgrade to the full edition if you do chose to upgrade later. My recomendation - buy it.

fizbin

I personally love it.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

3 thumbs up! (Hey wait... that's not a thumb!)

Yes, Opus is almost that exciting... go get it...

Go Back to forum