• Register
  • Help

Topic: A few questions

Share/Bookmark

A few questions

Hi,

I'm new to GPO. I have been learning a lot, and this forum has been a great resource. I have searched the back posts, and still have a few questions.
    I am using Sibelius to trigger GPO - I don't have any other sequencer program, so I am trying to get the most out this setup.

1) The legato issue - I'm not a keyboard player, so entering via mod wheel and pedal is a problem. I have inserted ~C64,xx, and it seems make no difference. I even experimented with the pedal (realtime input), but again, nothing - perhaps it is how I am setting the instruments in GPO?

2) I understand that Overture is more fully integrated, and has more editing possibilities, but it will quite time consuming to re-enter all my scores. If I save Sibelius file as a MIDI file, can it be opened in Overture? I tried it, but the MIDI files were greyed out - unselectable.

3) Ambience - is there a place where I can find some documentation on using this? Again, I am coming at this from notation. I am learning a lot about MIDI messages, etc., but I haven't a clue as to what all the knobs in the Ambience window do. Any suggestions on where to look?

I'll stop for now. If anyone has any ideas for any of these questions, I'd be most grateful.

In advance, thanks.

Ron Pearl

Re: A few questions

#2 - What do you mean greyed out? They have to be imported into Overture. File, Import, then select the midi file. I know it works, but I can't be more specific since I'm here at work now.

#3 - This has been brought up before but I don't think it was ever addressed.

#1 - I am not sure. Have you tried overlapping the notes in the midi? This needs to be done to get optimum results while using the sustain controller for legato. If you are using Overture, click on the View, Graphic Window. This will bring up Overture's midi editor/sequencer. In here you can make your notes longer without affecting the layout of the score for those passages you need legato.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    #2 - What do you mean greyed out? They have to be imported into Overture. File, Import, then select the midi file. I know it works, but I can't be more specific since I'm here at work now.

#3 - This has been brought up before but I don't think it was ever addressed.

#1 - I am not sure. Have you tried overlapping the notes in the midi? This needs to be done to get optimum results while using the sustain controller for legato. If you are using Overture, click on the View, Graphic Window. This will bring up Overture's midi editor/sequencer. In here you can make your notes longer without affecting the layout of the score for those passages you need legato.
    Joe,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am at work, so I can't be more specific about the MIDI import issue - I'll try again, and get back to you if it is still a problem. It seems that if I can get my files into Overture, then the legato issue will be more easily solved. On Sibelius, one can specify that note durations are greater than 100% if slurred, but it sems to have no affect in GPO. Would the ~C64,xx not work?

Thanks again1

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Joe,

It seems that if I can get my files into Overture, then the legato issue will be more easily solved. On Sibelius, one can specify that note durations are greater than 100% if slurred, but it sems to have no affect in GPO. Would the ~C64,xx not work?
    R. Pearl
    I'm not sure about the cc64, since I'm a beginner here. But there are similar features in Overture.

1) As Joe said, do a File=>Import to open a midi file in Overture.

2) To set Legato, use the "arrow cursor" to select the notes you want to edit, go Notes=>Modify to bring up a "Modify Notes" dialog, choose "Legato" from the leftmost pull-down, then set the percentage in the rightmost field. Using 103% seems to work well.

Some of this is covered in one of the Overture/GPO tutorials over on the tutorial page.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

In terms of the legato issue: What about the sound isn't legato? Is it connected any less than without the sustain pedal? When you play a single note with or without the sustain pedal there isn't much of a notable difference.

Am I making sence here?

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    In terms of the legato issue: What about the sound isn't legato? Is it connected any less than without the sustain pedal? When you play a single note with or without the sustain pedal there isn't much of a notable difference.

Am I making sence here?

Hope this helps,
    Chris
    Thanks for all the quick answers! Chris, no - there seems to be no difference with or without the pedal. That's why I was curious about inserting CC64 messages. The control of duration in Overture does, indeed, seem to help a lot. Here is the problem: Under the File menu, Import is in gray - it's nonfunctioning (This is the version that came with GPO). If I can get that to work, then going from Sibelius to overture should be a snap.
    It seems that Sibelius's similar function of increasing the durations (and hence legato) in the Performance panel doesn't seem to have any effect on GPO. Any Sibelius users find differently?

Thanks again for all the help - when I get something halfway decent I'll post it.

R. Pearl

I just started using GPO in Sibelius...hmmm....legato? just slur the notes Sibelius plays them. I am fooling around writing a string quartet in Sibelius using GPO and it sounds pretty realistic to me, slurs, dynamics, whatever.
    If you have sibelius and sequencer and GPO what else do you need? Of course in the Sequencer I think you can get more realistic results for ensembles. One thing people don't realize is Sibelius performs the music and it sounds like a performance. Also the piano I have checked that in Sibelius and that sounds damn good too.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Here is the problem: Under the File menu, Import is in gray - it's nonfunctioning (This is the version that came with GPO). If I can get that to work, then going from Sibelius to overture should be a snap.
    I just checked, and if you already have a file open in Overture, then the "Import" function is greyed-out. If you close everything first, then the choice comes back (at least that is how it is working for me).

I believe this is because the SE version of Overture is limited to having one file open at a time (one of the very few limitations in the "Special Edition" of Overture that is bundled with GPO).
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    I just checked, and if you already have a file open in Overture, then the "Import" function is greyed-out. If you close everything first, then the choice comes back (at least that is how it is working for me).

I believe this is because the SE version of Overture is limited to having one file open at a time (one of the very few limitations in the "Special Edition" of Overture that is bundled with GPO).
    jim
    Thanks - I'll give it a try. I have had more success with the Sibelius/GPO setup with the Legato and Hairpin plugins. The legato one is puzzling - it provides the same messages that I was putting manually, but mine seemed to have no effect. Does the precise placement in relation to where the message attaches to the notehead make a difference?

A lot to learn, but I know more than I did four days ago!

Go Back to forum