• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Formula to make music sound emotional!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Formula to make music sound emotional!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I've found it!!
    My orchestra conductor explained it to us last night in rehersal.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchestra conductor
    As simply as possible, to be more musical you have to emphasize the pulses which are not naturally emphasized. In 4/4, the 1st and 3rd beats are the strongest so if you are playing quarter notes, you would emphasize 2 and 4. If you are playing eighth notes, the up beats should be emphasized (2nd and 4th). Get it? How you emphasize can vary. Slight accent, longer note, later note etc. Think of the word “rubato” in Italian means “to rob”. To take from one note or pulse to give to another. This concept works best and easiest in slow tempos but the really good musicians can make it happen in faster stuff also.
    His words are GOLDEN! They make my music sound SOOO much better both the virtual senario and the acoustic senario.

-Chris

Re: Formula to make music sound emotional!!

A few years ago I read about a frequency content view of emotional music. In general they found that the high frequency content increased as emotional songs/pieces progress. It was true is all genres studied. One example that they analyzed in depth was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Something to consider is that most instruments have more overtones at ff than at pp, so just starting out quiet and ending up loud will do the trick. But you can also add more flutes, cymbals, glock as the piece goes on, and play things in higher registers to get this effect too.

-JF

Thumbs up Re: Formula to make music sound emotional!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    In general they found that the high frequency content increased as emotional songs/pieces progress. It was true is all genres studied.
    Good one, JF!
    Now that I think about it that is very true.

Thanks for the tip!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Who's your orchestra conductor, Ziggy Marley!? Sounds alot like reggae to me!

Ern
    I luuuuvvv formulas for music. It makes life so much easier.

Great teacher you have there Tex - guard him with your life!

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I've found it!!
    My orchestra conductor explained it to us last night in rehersal.

His words are GOLDEN! They make my music sound SOOO much better both the virtual senario and the acoustic senario.

-Chris
    Say, his name isn't James Morgan Thurmond is it? (Whoops, it couldn't be)

That method tends to come out naturally in most of my melodies.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

No, his name is Gerald Tedesco.
    Sean, can you post some of your melodies? I'm curious as to what you mean and how that 'naturally' occures in your melodies.
    And yes, he is a GREAT conductor conducting a lazy, unmotivated, out of tune, emotionless, bad-sounding orchestra. We sound so bad because there's those few people who never come to rehersals, don't practice their music, play wrong notes, play out of tune, and who have a terrible tone. That makes our whole orch sound bad! The brass and woodwinds sound professional, but the strings really need to get it together!!

Anyways, I'll quit complaining about my orchestra that every1 THINKS I'm loyal to.
    Shhhhh! Don't tell!

I've g2get up at 5:00 tomorrow morning to catch my flight to Dallas TX!!! I'm going to see my Dad!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Chris

I've g2get up at 5:00 tomorrow morning to catch my flight to Dallas TX!!! I'm going to see my Dad!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Chris
    Now is that Ron? - Or is that the one rotting in his living room with the piano that apparently he gave you, then didn't - and is now rotting too.

Just one point: I believe he's wrong about the word "rubato". I think it means, more or less, "rough". As in, the tempo is to be applied roughly rather than strictly.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I was taught in music college. Would be easy enough to check with an English-Italian dictionary.

No, his name is Gerald Tedesco.
    Sean, can you post some of your melodies?
    You'll just have to trust me . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast