• Register
  • Help

Topic: Silent keyboards?

Share/Bookmark

Silent keyboards?

I know this is a stupid question, but are most keyboards silent? I ask this because my Kurzweil K2500xs actually has a small fan on the bottom of it. It's quiet enough to not really be a problem, but it is quite noticeable/fatiguing. When I turn it off, my room is pretty much perfectly silent (have my machines in a ventilated closet). The only noise I can hear is the hiss coming from my cheapo speakers.e

Just wondering if most keyboards today emit hums, fan noise, ect.

Re: Silent keyboards?

Your Kurzweil has a fan in it?? Imagine that...
    I am using an increasingly ancient Roland controller (which will no doubt one day be in museum, like Paganini's violin or Mozart's clavichord, ha!) who's only avenue of sound production would be to use the keyboard itself as a percussion instrument and bash it around the room.

Jokes aside, most keyboards I have ever worked with have been as silent as can be as far as I could tell at the time.

If you hear the K2500 fan, you could replace it with one that's quieter. It needs the fan because it has a Motorola processor and some RAM. K2000s had an optional fan, but you were supposed to add it as soon as you added sample RAM.

I didn't know there had been a keyboard with a fan in it built since the last hurrah of analog behemoths like the MemoryMoog and Prophet 10. Wow.

The 2600 also has one - quite noticable in the studio. I hadn't thought about replacing it, but that's an idea worth looking into, as the board is always on when I'm working.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    The 2600 also has one - quite noticable in the studio. I hadn't thought about replacing it, but that's an idea worth looking into, as the board is always on when I'm working.
    You should convert it to be water-cooled. That would be an attention getter.

Heh - water-cooled, with a big plexiglass window on the side showing all kinds of garish lights & what not.

--Eric

Go Back to forum