• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best system for Giga3

Share/Bookmark

Best system for Giga3

Hi -

I've been using 2.54 on an Athlon 800 for a while and it's been ok, but am now thinking about upgrading to 3.

Can you recommend a system (CPU speed, RAM reqs, drive reqs, sound card) that would be powerful and reliable?

Thanks!

Re: Best system for Giga3

Prepare yourself for the transition, you might not see problems at first, but wait for the rollercoaster of Windows freak-outs' to come. I went from 2.54 to Giga 3 a month ago and I've had to reformat my main hard-drive 11 times. I suppose the most aggravating thing is that Windows System Restore' has no effect on Giga. Since Giga operates at the master kernal level ; it is in-effect' it's own operating system. This morning, Giga 3 surprised me again by spitting out all 8 ports.... with no error messages. This is becoming kinda routine now for me. Every 48 hours, Giga 3 does something quite creative... ohh, it also told my Sony flat-screen monitor to not activate. Stuff like this...
    mike

Mike,

Have you turned off the Quicksound auto-scan? That seems to be the biggest problem in Giga. You will then need to manually re-scan when you update your sample drive, but this is no big deal.

Otherwise, you seem to have very unstable hardware. You might try downloading and running prime95 to test that you aren't getting errors when writing to and reading from RAM.

-JF

I think Jon is referring to turning off the "Monitor File Activity" option in the QuickSound settings.
    I can't understand why _anyone_ would want that enabled.
    After all it is not as if you would be continually installing and rearranging new libraries.

Yeah, that's it. I've been traveling for too many days these past few weeks, and have just gotten back to Giga tonight...

-JF

Thanks Jon and Meroveus for the Monitor File Activity' info. That's something I will do when I get home tonight. In regards to possible unstable hardware : Yeh, I got a ton of other hardware on my system, but it is now, as of this morning, working. I have to switch between 16-bit/44.1 and 24-bit/96 inside of my M-Audio Audiophile software console whenever I want to watch DVD movies, but I'd rather that, than go out and buy a TV and DVD player. They always worked in harmony with Gigastudio 160, but enter Giga 3 and all Hell broke loose. One of many aggravations is the fact that Windows' XP doesn't give you an error message leading you to a possible solution. It behaves as if nothings wrong, when things are very, very wrong.
    mike

I built a machine with the Giga 3 software in mind. However one thing that I did not see any information about is that the Giga software wants Hyperthreading for the P 4 processor - turned off. That kinda made me feel like I wasted some money here.

The other recommendation would be as much memory as you can afford, and some fast and big hard drives.

Always get Good parts, or you will have to pay for new one's when the cheap ones die.
    Make sure you have firewire and USB 2.0.

I do not know if Giga 3 can deal with 2 real physical processors.

Do not connect the box to the internet and save yourself a lot of headaches and cost for firewalls and virus software. Use it for music 0nly.

My .02

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellm44
    Do not connect the box to the internet and save yourself a lot of headaches and cost for firewalls and virus software. Use it for music 0nly.

My .02
    That will work if it is a "GIGA only" box. Some apps require on-line registration.

I do not know if Giga 3 can deal with 2 real physical processors.
    Not yet.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    That will work if it is a "GIGA only" box. Some apps require on-line registration.
    However there is nearly always a way round this. It is a bit more of a hassle to send faxes etc for registrations, but it all depends on how often you install new software (or hardware for that matter).

FWIW I have never yet found an app that HAD to be connected to the internet to be registered, in spite of what the manufacturers would like you to believe.

Daryl

Go Back to forum