Motu Fastlane 2 port usb midi interface
    Logic Pro 7
    OS 10.3.9

&

P4 3ghz
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 1 port PCI midi interface
    Gigastudio 3
    Windows XP SP2

Midi out 1 of the MOTU connects to midi in of M-Audio.

My question is, does any one have any tips on how to configure either or both systems to make them work without problems?

Thanks!
    Last edited by inteleky; 05-05-2005 at 02:58 PM. Reason: New title more appropriate

Re: Any tips for using Giga 3 Orchestra with Logic Pro 7

Het!

Here are some recent threads from the sample discussion forum that might give you some insight. I plan to have a similar setup. Oh - and good luck sifting through the arguments in the first thread - there is some good info in there, believe it or not!!!

Have fun!

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33786
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33897
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33863

Does anyone know how can I make use of the multiple ports in gigastudio through logic? For example, how can I assign a logic 7 midi track to output to Giga port 7 channel 5?

Quote Originally Posted by ELP71
    Het!

Here are some recent threads from the sample discussion forum that might give you some insight. I plan to have a similar setup. Oh - and good luck sifting through the arguments in the first thread - there is some good info in there, believe it or not!!!

Have fun!

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33786
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33897
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33863
    Thanks! Good stuff. I've got the two machines talking, giga machine chases logic etc. But I'm having trouble with port assignments...

Boy, I would be interested in a further discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by ELP71
    Boy, I would be interested in a further discussion!
    Hey ELP, I have got everything working INCLUDING ports!!!!!!! There is a god. AND its CHEAP to do. If you want to know what I did, just reply to this post and I will give you the run down.

Quote Originally Posted by inteleky
    Hey ELP, I have got everything working INCLUDING ports!!!!!!! There is a god. AND its CHEAP to do. If you want to know what I did, just reply to this post and I will give you the run down.
    Why not just post it so we could all learn? That's what this forum is for, right fellas?
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

HOW TO USE LOGIC PRO 7.0.1 WITH GIGASTUDIO 3

HOW TO GET LOGIC PRO 7.0.1 AND GIGASTUDIO 3 TO WORK HAPPILY TOGETHER

DISCLAIMER: O.K. I have a feeling this is not new info to this board, so if I am duplicating information on some other post, I'm sorry for posting things that you already know.

Here are my systems:

PC:

- Win XP SP 2 *
    - P4 3ghz
    - ASUS P4C800 Delux MOBO
    - 3 gigs PC 3200 RAM
    - M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    - 160 gb SATA RAID 0 (for .gigs)
    - GigaStudio 3 Orchestra
    - Norton Ghost **

* My copy of XP was optimized for audio by applying simple to perform, and strongly recomended, tips from these sites (trust me, they work folks. Just make an known working 'image' first):

TWEAKS for Windows XP for Video Editing v 1.0
    TWEAKS for Windows XP for Video Editing v 2.0
    MusicXP: Tuning Tips
    GigaStudio Memory Load Optimizer

** If you own a PC and depend on it for your livelyhood (i.e. music) and do not own Norton Ghost (any version), then you will forever be the victem of countless fatal problems with windows xp.

Mac:

- OS 10.3.9 *
    - G4 450 mhz DP
    - 768 mb PC 133 RAM
    - M-Box
    - SATA drive for the OS **
    - Logic Pro 7.0.1
    - Alesis QS8

* Optimized for audio with what little is available for OS X. Check these out:

Mac OS X Hints
    Giant Mike's

** This simple upgrade made a reletivley old machine much faster. The performance increase was significant. (It only proves that hard drives ARE, infact, the weakest link in the i/o throughput of a computer. It's not about CPU speed. It's about data transfer rate)

Cross-Platform Equipment (for both Mac & PC):

- 10/100 5-port Network Switch
    - MIDIOverLAN CP
    - One monitor, one Apple Pro Keyboard and one Kensintion Expert mouse *
    - IOGEAR MiniView Micro USB Plus KVM

* Check out this site for using one keyboard and one mouse for a PC and a Mac:

Sharing Keyboards and Monitors Between Macs and PCs

Installation Steps:

- Your systems must have Ethernet (i.e. NIC)
    - Install Giga 3 on the PC
    - Install Logic 7.0.1 on the Mac
    - Install the audio and/or midi cards on both computers *
    - Install MIDIOverLAN CP on both the PC and Mac (no, I'm not a friggen MIDIOverLAN CP salesman)
    - Follow the instructions that come with MIDIOverLAN CP. **
    - Setup your ports and IP addresses using MIDIOverLAN on both the PC and MAC
    - Open Giga and Goto: File>System Settings>Hardware>MIDI Configuration>MIDI In Ports and select NetPort as your device for all eight ports
    - Open Logic and behold the beauty when you click on the 'Port' assignment drop down box in the 'Parameters' window of a MIDI channel.
    - Load up a sample in Giga, select the corresponding MIDI track in Logic, and if you did everything right, you will be god on earth.

* Note: Don't bother buying an expensive midi interface, just get a one or two port cheap-o so you can connect your keyboard to the MAC. Unless of course you absolutely NEED an expensive one for outboard/hardware midi gear.

** Check out the manual for MIDIOverLAN.

Conclusions:

- My system is solid as a rock with tweaks and all.
    - I don't run normal programs such as games, office (I use the free OpenOffice anyway), or email (Thunderbird). As a solution, I run two user profiles. One for studio/music work, one for everything else.
    - If there are anymore questions, please post them.
    - I hope this helped. I view this post as a compilation of all the info out there, just with the 'clutter' removed.

-i'm using logic pro 7.1 on a dedicated mac g5 with motu 896/tiger .4
    -gigastudio 3 orchestra on a dedicated pentium4 3.20 winXPpro serv2 PC
    (yes, the pc is configured for audio workss)
    -using MIDIoverLAN 2.2.1 CP.

computers are currently sharing files via LAN, and it worx ok.

the problem is:
    1-i have doubled netport on gigastudio!! i mean (on hardware tab) i have "netport 11" AND "netport 11(2)", then...the port is currently working is "netport 11(2)", why i have that doubled ports?

2-if i launch the vsl performance tool, it worx only with "netport 1".. really strange!

how can i "initialize" the netports, i don t want this "doubled" behaviour!!

please help, thx!
    mac Logic- PC Giga 3

Go Back to forum