• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I tried to publish a classical piano sonata and LOL!(shot down)

Share/Bookmark

I tried to publish a classical piano sonata and LOL!(shot down)

It was only one publisher and I still want to publish this piano sonata but this is a genuine quote from the editor publisher staff(publisher not mentionting name)

ok actual quote:

"Your Period Construction is not Consistant with your style"

yea Beat that!! so like my cadences are not consitant with the style of music(guess they didn't like the dimished chords suspending on top of each other to resolve in the developement section there.

So anyone else ever get some wild replys when publishing classical music?
    I can't help it that i want to publish some classical music.

I actually have sort of a complex from this reply now from that publisher and because of it went frontwards and backwards over this dang sonata trying to figure out what the heck there talking about. I changed stuff(probably didn't even need changing) thinking that was it then sent that version, and once again got the same reply. I finally told them there is nothing wrong with this music and if your not willing to publish it fine we have nothing more to discuss. Oh well...Next! OH and I had a concert Pianist play this sonata too and I can't publish it? WTF. I obviously dont' know Sh****T...

So it all comes down to what the heck do they want...Music is subjective anywayz. and yadayadayadayada

here's a genuin quote of me trying to publish 19th century classical piano sonata:

you would be a genius if you lived 200 years ago. It's a great piece but we are sorry to say we can't publish it. (they gave no more reason)
    I living now not 200 years ago LOL!!! geeze it's just a style of music and my interpetation of it. genuis? the only genius is madness. madness in trying to make money with music and the madness of trying to get a job with music and the madness of it all! HA!

So I bet minilism style music or like impressionistic piano music would sell...here is what is a joke: (piano music composed now)
    New Age music sells, musically it's a joke like pop arranged for piano pathetic.
    Also Celtic Irish style piano music sells, learning books sell for piano publication too.
    Film themes for piano sell, it just comes down to simpler piano music selling i think.

enough rant...
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: I tried to publish a classical piano sonata and LOL!(shot down)

Hey Strangecat, I wouldn't take it too personally. I'm afraid the Classical musical world has gone the same way as everything else - money! Over here in the UK we have a radio station called Clasic FM, which plays only Classical music. They're a commercial station (some of our stations are paid for out of the license that everyone has to buy to watch TV, but some are independent and have to finance themselves through advertising space) which means they clearly do a lot of research on what people want to hear, and that's what they play.

Well they play CRAP!! They have a playlist which consists entirely of slow movements from ultra-Romantic pieces. Don't get me wrong, I adore the slow mvt. of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto, but when it's played 4 or 5 times in a day, without the framing of the more exciting movements, and in the context of hundreds of other slow, overly-chromatic movements, it starts to get a little tedious. On Classic FM you will never hear the Rite of Spring, the first mvt. of Beethoven't 5th....

Basically they are aiming to become musical wallpaper, so that people can have it on in the background and pay it no attention. Thus music with no content, which communicates nothing, is the order of the day.

In terms of solo piano music, the guy who is currently selling like hot cakes is someone called Ludovico Einaudi, who writes a special type of contentless, inane music. If you can imagine taking a piece of Philip Glass and removing the gradual development, so that the piece is literally nothing but repetition of extremely wishy washy garbage for half an hour. Then slam down the sustain pedal and do not let it up until the end of the piece. Play in the style of Richard Clayderman, but without the talent. That's Einaudi. And that's what everyone seems to be willing to pay for, both at the record shop and the sheet music shop. So can you blame publishers if they no longer want music that requires people to listen to it?

Try not to get too wound up about it Strangecat. Just get as many copies out to as many pianists as possible. Make recordings. Publish it in online under your own label or a small cottage one that's interested. There's a lot of competition these days so you just have to keep plugging. But I think getting a fan base of performers is the first port of call. Without them, it probably wouldn't sell anyway.

The stylistic issue is pretty irrelevant these days because its really a case of take what you want from whenever as long as there's a personal voice behind the music. But there's still a big anti-romantic (20th/21st century)movement in many influential parts of the classical music world so you have to expect these walls.

Re: Classic FM. They do actually have unbroken evening concerts and Simon Bates presents an hour long film music program so its not all boringaudi stuff. But my problem is that they compress the **** out of the music and it just obliterates any subtlety and makes it unlistenable to my ears. Its all so the average 85mph driver can hear it as they're shooting down the M1.

Agreed (even if I am card carrying member of the "anti-romantic" camp). Dont' give up on it, just keep putting it out there and get your music performed as often as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    I think getting a fan base of performers is the first port of call. Without them, it probably wouldn't sell anyway.

The stylistic issue is pretty irrelevant these days because its really a case of take what you want from whenever as long as there's a personal voice behind the music. But there's still a big anti-romantic (20th/21st century)movement in many influential parts of the classical music world so you have to expect these walls..

StrangeCat,

JonP's suggestions are the way to go with your marketing.

I'd suggest also preparing a letter that includes the info that this piece is in a classic form, but includes original elements, such as... Then include this letter with the packet that you send to prospective publishers and performers.

DavidH

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Hey Strangecat, I wouldn't take it too personally. I'm afraid the Classical musical world has gone the same way as everything else - money! Over here in the UK we have a radio station called Clasic FM, which plays only Classical music. They're a commercial station (some of our stations are paid for out of the license that everyone has to buy to watch TV, but some are independent and have to finance themselves through advertising space) which means they clearly do a lot of research on what people want to hear, and that's what they play.

Well they play CRAP!! They have a playlist which consists entirely of slow movements from ultra-Romantic pieces. Don't get me wrong, I adore the slow mvt. of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto, but when it's played 4 or 5 times in a day, without the framing of the more exciting movements, and in the context of hundreds of other slow, overly-chromatic movements, it starts to get a little tedious. On Classic FM you will never hear the Rite of Spring, the first mvt. of Beethoven't 5th....

Basically they are aiming to become musical wallpaper, so that people can have it on in the background and pay it no attention. Thus music with no content, which communicates nothing, is the order of the day.

In terms of solo piano music, the guy who is currently selling like hot cakes is someone called Ludovico Einaudi, who writes a special type of contentless, inane music. If you can imagine taking a piece of Philip Glass and removing the gradual development, so that the piece is literally nothing but repetition of extremely wishy washy garbage for half an hour. Then slam down the sustain pedal and do not let it up until the end of the piece. Play in the style of Richard Clayderman, but without the talent. That's Einaudi. And that's what everyone seems to be willing to pay for, both at the record shop and the sheet music shop. So can you blame publishers if they no longer want music that requires people to listen to it?
    I guess you're right.... up to a point. However they are a commercial company and have to play what the 'masses' want. When I say 'masses' this is actually pififully small as classical music is a minority interest already, and they couldn't afford to be a minority choice of the minority choice. That would be commercial suicide.

I think individuals with more narrow preferences (meaning away from broad taste) need to enjoy their niche musical interests themselves and not try and impose them on others or dictate what people should enjoy. I mean, it's a free world and everyone can listen to what they like.

As you have said, there is always Radio3 and as that is a national, non-commercial, radio station they often play the type of music you prefer. You are fortunate that our system caters to the minority in this way.

"So can you blame publishers if they no longer want music that most people don't like?" No you can't!

Other than that, I'm afraid its CDs for you!

Also, remember this? Following the success of Nessun Dorma as the signature 'tune' of the Football World Cup, some thought that this would lead to a huge interest in Opera and there was a large movement towards trying to get the public interested. Hell, I even bought the 'best of Opera' myself!.... All the nice bits because, as you know, most opera is xxxx....... and so, time has shown this to be a failure as people still only like the nice bits.

I won't even mention the 1930's experiment where the BBC Philharmonic instructed all their musicians to play anything randomly for an hour. A load of fringe taste 'enthusiasts' wrote in saying how wonderful it was!! I rest my case! QED!!! The BBC got into trouble for doing this but it was time that this nonsense was exposed for being what it is.

You'll get no pretentious, 'Emporer's new clothes' appreciation from me I'm afraid!

Frank

Strange how opinions differ isn't it?

It seems that things haven't moved on for nearly a hundred years. Fritz Kreisler was lambasted for trying to be a composer of pleasant sounding music, so all he did was pretend that they were arrangements of lesser known classical composers' works. Just a thought.....!

Daryl

The music world is really strange to me (no pun intended) All everyone wants to hear is the Great Classical Composers all the time, at concerts at dinner parties at anything, but then when someone wants to or composes like that they shun then, like hey what are you doing composing this only bla bla bla can compose this. I think everyone can compose like that, Commen practice harmony etc. One of the things i am doing right now is composing a string quartet totally like Mozart's time, I am doing it because I can but I think I'll do a modern one after it. I am also doing Ambiant Dub piece for elctronic music, but in the electronic music i am using 13th's and 7add 9th chords, and block style harmony with pads, and all that heehee. Yep Music it's all about money then getting a work is all about who you know. it's lame I tell ya.

Good Idea I should send out tons of copies of the score, I really just want to publish this piano sonata(shrug) my piano sonatas are about 30 minutes long I guess(you know exposition repeats then development sections and recap repeat for the first movement)

and I also do anti-romantic style music. but publishing that hmm I don't know. (pluck the strings in the piano here) LOL!!! Bam Cluster Chord lower octave)....chromatic decending upper way upper octave...(tickle the ivories)
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    The music world is really strange to me (no pun intended) All everyone wants to hear is the Great Classical Composers all the time, at concerts at dinner parties at anything, but then when someone wants to or composes like that they shun then, like hey what are you doing composing this only bla bla bla can compose this. I think everyone can compose like that, Commen practice harmony etc. One of the things i am doing right now is composing a string quartet totally like Mozart's time, I am doing it because I can but I think I'll do a modern one after it. I am also doing Ambiant Dub piece for elctronic music, but in the electronic music i am using 13th's and 7add 9th chords, and block style harmony with pads, and all that heehee. Yep Music it's all about money then getting a work is all about who you know. it's lame I tell ya.

Good Idea I should send out tons of copies of the score, I really just want to publish this piano sonata(shrug) my piano sonatas are about 30 minutes long I guess(you know exposition repeats then development sections and recap repeat for the first movement)

and I also do anti-romantic style music. but publishing that hmm I don't know. (pluck the strings in the piano here) LOL!!! Bam Cluster Chord lower octave)....chromatic decending upper way upper octave...(tickle the ivories)
    Yes, the music world can be strange place indeed...
    Do you happe to have recordings (midi or live) of your sonata that you would care to share online?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Over here in the UK we have a radio station called Clasic FM, which plays only Classical music.
    Jane Jones makes me want to vomit!

Go Back to forum