• Register
  • Help

Topic: TCM Contest on CBS Sunday Morning News

Share/Bookmark

Post TCM Contest on CBS Sunday Morning News

9 AM EST CBS News "Sunday Morning" has a segment on the contest for a score writer for film TCM. Reporting on 5 possible winners and the judging involved. Real interesting if you can watch this those of you who are involved.

Edit continue - Watched the remainder of the program and the winner. One statement that struck me curious is why they seem to impose an age barrier on contestants? Ages 16 to 35 I believe was mentioned. What, is this an enlistment age barrier or something or just the life expectancy of a film composer? Seems kind of discriminative but then again, considering the industry. What ever, maybe I heard wrong.
    Michael Picton was the winner scoring "The Temptress" for Tuner Classic
    Movies. Was this recent or one past? Sorry, I wasn't following.
    Styxx

Re: TCM Contest on CBS Sunday Morning News

The age barrier is because it's the Young Compser Competition. I guess TCM no longer considers you "young" after you're 35. Though I'm sure that when I'm 35, I won't consider myself "old".
    Tim

The age barrier is there because they don't want people to enter who have too much experience. Of course, age and experience don't always coincide, but setting an age limit is kind of the easy way out for TCM. The website said the age limit was 18-35 for the last competition.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I'm 47 and just starting to get my crap together!

Peace

Rik

Hey that's pretty cool...wish I would have caught it. I wonder if the semi-finalists for this year have been selected yet. I think it was supposed to be around this time.

Yeah Styxx, I guess they want to focus it on younger, more entry-level types of composers. I guess that's a nice way to do it, though I see your point too. Oh, and Picton was last year's winner I believe.

Oh, and Picton was last year's winner I believe.
    Thought this might have been an older contest.

The Age thing? This is what I have to say to the industry in general, Excuses are like @#$ @%@#$ everyone has "em and they stink!
    Styxx

What about a TCM Mid Life Crisis Compser Competition?
    Bosco Adama

Go Back to forum