• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I'm about to throw my DAW in the trash...

Share/Bookmark

Angry I'm about to throw my DAW in the trash...

Please help me. Downloaded AMD Updates today. The instructions said to re-start the computer, so I did. Now, when it starts up, after it checks the processors and RAM it shuts off the keyboard and mouse (so I can't do anything at all - I can't hit the keys that it tells me to that would fix the problem!) and then says: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: :Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Does anyone have any clue how I can fix this please? Or, for the discount price of $4900.00, you can buy this lovely piece of *&%# from me
    Last edited by Stephanie Pray; 04-24-2005 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Error...

Re: I'm about to throw my DAW in the trash...

Hi MM,

I did a google search on this and a number of hits came up - the following seemed to offer some information:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

Obviously, I can't vouch for the content of this website.

Good luck
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

what is your computer? What kind of Amd? what is the motherboard?
    the problem sounds like software not motherboard or bios error. Buy a second hd then take the hd in your computer now and make it a slave drive, hook up the second hd and reload WIN XP from scratch , then hook up your slave drive and move over files you want etc. of course your going to have to reload programs all over again. This is if you absolutely can't get your
    computer to run. I am running a 3200 AMD 64 bit myself. didn't need to download anything from AMD site.

try this:
    first boot up the computer hit f8 on keyboard then go into safe mode, see if it boots up from that. if it does go and do a back restore to point where XP was working. if that doesn't work or you can't boot up Win XP from safe mode because of the Same DLL error. you might have to relaod XP like the above that I wrote about.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks for your help. It's a custom build from Audio Digital Wave. I've had nothing but trouble with it from the get-go. This particular problem didn't start until after an update was downloaded this morning. The thing was working fine at 1:30 this morning. It's and AMD Opteron 64 and I have 2 of them 4 drives in all. Can't get into safe mode becuase the Keyboard doesn't work. It works up to a point and then shuts the keyboard down. I'm so lost
    Last edited by Stephanie Pray; 04-24-2005 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot something

the keyboard isn't working man that sucks...well ok you can use the mouse can you get into windows you could do a restore there. Also have you replugged and plugged in the keyboard. the keyboard not working is a ps2 problem with the port, it could maybe be fixed in the bios but you need the keyboard.

If you can boot into windows use the mouse and do a restore back to a point when your computer was working then back up back up your stuff. go to system tools for restore option. Then call the people who built your machine, then call Amd tech guys.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Maestro

Do you have a rescue disk or a bootable CD-ROM?

If it isn't a hardware problem (and that sounds unlikely) with a little luck that should get you up and running. If that works one thing that has helped me on more than one occasion is to have windows check for the integrity of critical system files by going to the root of your C: drive and typing "sfc /scannow" from a DOS command prompt. This will not only check files but also rebuild them if they are corrupted.

If you don't have a bootable disk some utilities include them (please check before buying because I don't have easy access to my manuals at the moment but I am thinking of things like Norton Internet Security and Partition Magic).

Good luck

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Thanks for your help. It's a custom build from Audio Digital Wave. I've had nothing but trouble with it from the get-go. This particular problem didn't start until after an update was downloaded this morning. The thing was working fine at 1:30 this morning. It's and AMD Opteron 64 and I have 2 of them 4 drives in all. Can't get into safe mode becuase the Keyboard doesn't work. It works up to a point and then shuts the keyboard down. I'm so lost

Shooting in the dark: If you can, try another keyboard. Disconnect everything from the tower except keyboard and mouse. If you have a backup of your operation system on cd's or dvd, restore the one where everthing worked best. Somehow, if you can get that far, you probably could correct the situation by running error check with option of fixing. Slow process, maybe. But getting that far?

When you get the message about the missing/corrupt file, is there an option screen of some sort?

This is similar to a problem I had a few months ago, which was improved by removal of some software apparently unrelated to the problem, and by removing a troublesome scanner. Then I was able to track the problem to a faulty hard drive -- not very old, but quite erratic, generated stupid errors.

Perhaps if would help if you would detail step by step in nauseating detail exactly what you do and what the machevallian monster does, including all options appearing.

Richard

Was it a BIOS update that you installed? What exactly did you install?
    If it's shutting off the keyboard before even loading the OS, it sounds like a BIOS problem.

Also, is the keyboard a USB keyboard? Can you get into setup when it says "hit DEL to enter setup" or something when it first turns on?

Hallelujah! I think that I fixed it I changed the order of the boot up, so that it booted from the CD drive first, so that I could load windows again. I then went into the BIOS utility again and looked at everything 1 more time. I noticed that the USB devices were somehow disabled. VERY ODD. I enabled them, along with a lot of other things that I don't remember, and saved it, and then restarted. When it got to the boot from CD part, I was able to hit the any key It's now working as far as I can tell. I'm hoping that all will be well when I switch back the boot sequence. I'll keep you posted. Thank you to EVERYONE for your help

Hallelujah! I think that I fixed it I changed the order of the boot up, so that it booted from the CD drive first, so that I could load windows again. I then went into the BIOS utility again and looked at everything 1 more time. I noticed that the USB devices were somehow disabled. VERY ODD. I enabled them, along with a lot of other things that I don't remember, and saved it, and then restarted. When it got to the boot from CD part, I was able to hit the any key It's now working as far as I can tell. I'm hoping that all will be well when I switch back the boot sequence. I'll keep you posted. Thank you to EVERYONE for your help
    Well, congratulations! I returned to tell you to try booting from CD or floppy, and there you were, with it fixed!! Well, now you might consider a full system backup, but I don't know if that would cover the bios options or not. But backup is always a good move. I backup my data at least daily, the system before making a change, and keep a couple of backups, in case one of your backups has backed up the problem!

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 04-24-2005 at 06:46 PM. Reason: stupid error, causing loss of intelligiblity

Go Back to forum