• Register
  • Help

Topic: Legato Mode in GS3

Share/Bookmark

Legato Mode in GS3

I'm currently in the process of trying to get my VSL Horizon Solo Strings to work sans Performance Tool in GS3. Most importantly, I want to be able to use the legato instruments but I'm having trouble. What's the easiest way to get the dimensions setup properly for the Smart MIDI Processor using the factory .GIG files for VSL Solo Strings?

Re: Legato Mode in GS3

Great question, but apparently, nobody knows- BUMP?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff
    Great question, but apparently, nobody knows- BUMP?
    That's because he's in the wrong forum.
    He should be asking it here:
    http://vsl.co.at/english/pages/forum/start/forum.htm

Not the wrong forum! The original question appears to about getting legato effects WITHOUT (sans) using the VSL tool. The convenience that would be gained by having this function inbuilt (thus eliminating the need for a separate program with all its implications for MIDI routing and channel setting, etc) has surely struck many people. Fortunately GS3 iMIDI is supposed at least to have such a function inbuilt, but so far the only instruments it seems to work with are the cut-down (short-range) VSL demo samples that are bundled with GS3. I have attempted to remap full VSL legato instruments (from First Ed.) to work with iMIDI and it does actually work to a degree. Just follow the sample mapping instructions in the GS3 manual (under the iMIDI legato mode heading). I have been able to produce legato note transitions using iMIDI alone which sound just like those obtained with the VSL tool. The problem, however, is that using iMIDI in this way seems to give rise to computer system instability. I cannot play these legato patches I have created for very long, because the computer always crashes in the midst of the forth or fifth (roughly speaking) legato phrase. As far as I know, nobody (on this board at least) has yet reported successful conversion of VSL legato samples to iMIDI legato (let alone iMIDI repetition mode, which is not even mentioned in the manual, although it does appear to be included in the iMIDI menu!).

Quote Originally Posted by DCB
    Not the wrong forum! The original question appears to about getting legato effects WITHOUT (sans) using the VSL tool.
    I stand corrected then.
    I thought that 'sans' meant 'with'. My mistake.

I don't think you can use the IMIDI rules to replace the performance tools at present. I haven't tried - it is too much work. You might have to wait for the next implementation of IMIDI.

Even so, it would be good to ask this question over at vsl.

Quote Originally Posted by meroveus
    I don't think you can use the IMIDI rules to replace the performance tools at present.
    Why then do you think they bothered to include VSL legato demo samples in the GS3 bundle?

Quote Originally Posted by meroveus
    I haven't tried - it is too much work. You might have to wait for the next implementation of IMIDI.
    Well, I have tried and succeeded to some extent (as described above). I agree, though, it was a bit too much work! Lets hope iMIDI implementation is improved in the next version of GS.

There is a thread at VSL forum about all this if you want to check it out.

http://www.vsl.co.at/english/pages/f...tart/forum.htm

Daryl

Like the VSL library, the original samples would have to be made with what the tool does in mind. In other words, you'd need the connecting samples that would be triggered by the tool in addition to the main samples.

I'd bet there's a better way in the works, just because this is just too much work.

- G

For what it's worth -- I do use the VSL solo strings legato patches WITHOUT the performance tool. Don't use imidi, either, for that matter.

It took a fair amount of time to achieve, but if you're interested here's how it worked:

First, all the performance instruments are very large, so I decided to reduce the two legato instrument (legato p and legato f) by eliminating the legato for skips above a fifth. This requires careful editing in gs3 editor, but ends up halving the size. You need to preserve the topmost split, which is basically a non-legato sound with which to start a legato phrase.

Then I plan legato lines by adding keyswitch notes INTO the midi tracks. It's almost logical once you get used to it: a C# (minor second above C) is a legato step of a minor second, a D natural, a major second, an Eb, a minor third, etc. G# (preserved from the topmost skip) is the keyswitch for "no skip or step". These have to go into the correct octave, naturally: I think it's the C1 octave, but i may have edited this from its original position.

THEN, the legato sample is different depending on the direction of the interval: steps and skips DOWN are placed 4 octaves above steps and skips UP. So you must selectively transpose 4 octaves depending on the line direction. Makes your midi tracks look crazy on any staff view, but works.

Once you get the legato working, you'll find that the other similarly-constructed instruments work the same way: the spiccato is one I use from time to time, and I think there are others.

The performance repetitions are yet another matter, where the key switch chooses which recording of the same repeated note to select!

One of my current projects is to further divide the legato instruments into two instruments, one legato up and one legato down, so that the 4-octave transposition won't be necessary, being replaced by a patch change. Also, for some purposes, then I can again halve the size of the legato instrument loaded (if I know my music only has legato up or down, for example).

In case anybody here missed my NAB thread...

There is at least one new rule is iMIDI for legato that will be included with the GS3.1 update. Tascam didn't spec a date, but it should be out soon, assuming that their quality assurance tests go well. With 3.04 working so well there's more pressure to get it right than to get it out quickly. There are other new rules as well, and stacking will get better and better.

And there will be some new lib announcements soon from developers who will support the new rules.

New features in GS3.1 for free. Is that cool or what?

-JF

Go Back to forum