• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why is my DVD burner so SLOW?

Share/Bookmark

Why is my DVD burner so SLOW?

Hey all, de-lurking here for a moment to see if anyone can help me figure out this issue.

My fancy new Sony DW-D22A drive is supposed to burn at up to 16x, but at best, burns 1gig video in about 15 minutes. This is using Sony-branded media rated at 8x, and/or Memorex media rated at 16x. I've been using Nero or Sony's (Sonic Foundry) DVD Architect 1.0d. Both programs recognize & report burning at 8x or 16x depending on the media.

The drive is attached as the master to a Promise ATA controller PCI card. There is a run-of-the-mill Maxtor on the same channel as the slave. The source material for the burn is on another drive (system drive), attached to the onboard ATA controller as a master.

This new drive was an upgrade to my Sony DRU-500a, which only goes up to 4x. I always thought slow burning was normal for it. I never knew any better, but now I think there's a wrench in the works.

Two bits of wierdness: never a coaster, and CPU util. on my AMD 2600+ is usually about 97% while burning DVD.

Anyone see a pattern here?

Thanks!
    Eric

Re: Why is my DVD burner so SLOW?

I purchased a Samsung DVD burner to replace my Sony 4x burner that quit reading half the DVD's I put in it. The new burner was burning 4x discs in less than half the time the Sony burner was burning. They both reported they were burning at 4x. Was really surprised to see how much faster my new burner worked at the same speed.

Haydn,

Were you using the same software to burn the discs? I also have different DVD burners in different systems with very different performance, but I also have different software on the systems, so I haven't yet compared apples to apples.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that different software only supports certain rates, but it does surprise me that burners with the same speed rating would have such different performance.

Then again, nothing should surprise me these days, should it?

-JF

Jon,

Yes is was the same software used on both burners. Burned with the same discs on both burners. That's what really surprised me about the speed difference.

I think I solved my own problem. I moved the drive to the mobo's on-board ATA controller rather than the Promise PCI card. Presto, now full 4.7 gig DVDs burn in about 10 minutes instead of an hour!

--Eric

Go Back to forum