• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer Channel: Podcasting?

Share/Bookmark

Composer Channel: Podcasting?

It's too early to tell whether it's hype or another new Internet trend that will catch on, but the current buzz is, of course, Podcasting. If it takes off like blogging has it will be yet another great way to gain exposure for your music.

I'm considering Podcasting the Composer Channel personality shows that Charlie and Deirdre host (since they always announce the composers for all the songs that are played).

I downloaded their free iPodder software (there's other free stuff out there as well, of course) and it works nicely. Supports both Mac and PC environments as well as the physical iPod and Pocket PC type devices. Basically, any Podcasted shows will be automatically downloaded to your computer media player and also your handheld portable device so that you can listen to shows when it's convenient for you.

For the techies among you, it's basically an rss feed supporting mp3 and video enclosures. However, it's not so much that it's a "new" technology as it is a trend that's got some buzz. And in the promotion of your music, buzz is everything! Anyway, looks cool. Be interesting to see how much it takes off.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: Composer Channel: Podcasting?

I'm not much for keeping abreast of the new technologies out there but anything that helps anyone of these fine composers seems to be a must addition! You never cease to amaze me at your genuine interest in helping with their dreams. Go for it!
    Styxx

Re: Composer Channel: Podcasting?

Well, our listeners are still growing, but the numbers aren't huge. The Podcasting thing, though, is trendy. And these days, an Internet trend can quickly translate to literally millions of new faces. Here's hoping!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Lightbulb Re: Composer Channel: Podcasting?

To me, there's a difference between having my selections streamed and becoming a semi-permanent part of someone's iPod (or other MP3 recording device). I realize it's also exposure, but it would also seen to undercut a person who has commercial distribution of selections (either singly or in an "album").

I feel that moving to an iPodder service would logically need to include additional permissions from the artists and should not be assumed that TCC (or anyone) can provide this without same. (For example, many of my works are licensed to digital distribution entities, in which case they forbid "free download" elsewhere. Downloading for an iPod is clearly a "free download" and would cause me to be in violation of my agreement[s].)

I hope there's a simple solution to this dilema.

KevinKauai

Re: Composer Channel: Podcasting?

Well, Kevin makes a good point and there doesn't seem to be much interest from anyone else, so I guess I'll just forget about the Podcasting thing for TCC.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum