• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: But Healthy. Who Rocks?

Thumbs up OT: But Healthy. Who Rocks?

Getting back to the music. I often wonder what bands influence many here at NSS. Now, I am not talking about film composers or classical musicians. Who rocks?

Who is your favorite band of all time? What new band is worth the trip to the record store? Who is your favorite singer?
    All of that.

Let's play.

For me (like you couldn't guess) I have always been a major RUSH head. They define music to me. It starts with them.

Favorite Band: RUSH
    Other Bands: That's a tough one. I enjoy everything from Zeppelin to Sinatra so
    Best New Band: Linkin Park

Bassists: Geddy Lee
    Male Vocalists: Geddy Lee (shut up!)
    Female Vocalist: Sarah McLachlan
    Guitarist: Alex Lifeson. I also adore Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Drummer: Neil Peart
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: OT: But Healthy. Who Rocks?

Well, these bands don't influence me since I write orchestral But it's what I listen to and enjoy..

David Gray, Damien Rice, Sarah McLachlan, Coldplay, Keane, Switchfoot, Rachael Yamagata, Tori Amos, John Mayer, Adem (Adem Ilhan), B˘a.. some others I can't think of.

Stuff I was listening to in the 90s.. oh, the 90s..some of the best music I think I'll ever experience: Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Nirvana, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Smashing Pumpkins (their GOOD stuff.. from Gish), Chris Cornell, Soundgarden, Candlebox, Soul Coughing, Dishwalla, Radiohead, and more...

(i'm editing this post as people mention bands I forgot about) Radiohead I forgot all about. OK Computer was one of the best albums I've heard in my life. A total work of art. Too bad Radiohead doesn't seem to crank out stuff of that quality anymore.
    Sam Hulick

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: OT: But Healthy. Who Rocks?

I had the pleasure of meeting Neil Peart but I can't say he was my favorite drummer inspirationally that is.
    Favorite band was Country Joe and The Fish. Not really but I did like them at the time.
    Favorite drummer - ME of cource! All right it's Dave Weckle.
    All time favorite band - Pink Floyd
    Favorite Female singer - Ethel Merman
    Favorite Male Vocalist - (Not anyone from star search!) Nat King Cole.
    Favorite Guitarist - Burney Orty Shorty (Jimmy Hendricks)

OK, I'll stop.

Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead.

Best new band: The White Stripes.

Trent Reznor, Tori Amos, Cursive, Tool, Bright Eyes, Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan, Roger Waters, Radiohead and Dream Theater.

Those are basically in order from most inspirational on my music to the least. I listen to tons more but they don't influence me. Rush used to be a fav of mine, but as I'v grown, I've liked them less and less, same with Rage Against the Machine, who used to be in my Top Five.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

New "cant stop listening to" = Ours - both Distorted Lullabies and Precious, but I like DL much better. I cant believe I missed this band the first time around.

others that are influential or in constant rotation

Jeff Buckley, Chris Cornell, Stabbing Westward, Muse, Snake River Conspiracy, Queen, SoundGarden, Queensryche, The Dreaming, NIN, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, 30 seconds to Mars, Skid Row, Dream Theater, Audioslave, The Beatles, Failure, Radiohead, ES Postumous, Gravity Kills, The Orignization, God Lives Underwater, Garbage, Strata, VAST, and a crapload more.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Favorite Band: That's tough for me, but Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
    Other Bands: Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Stabbing Westward (old stuff), Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, AFI.
    Best New Band: None

Bassists: Aren't they all interchangeable? LOL
    Male Vocalists: Nick Cave
    Female Vocalist: My daughter.
    Guitarist: Hendrix (or me, on air guitar)
    Drummer: Dave Grohl

Best New Band: The English Language
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thumbs up Re: OT: But Healthy. Who Rocks?

Skid Row huh King? Yeah man! Monkey Business!!

Years ago I was bass teacher at a local shop in NJ and Dave Sabo was the guitar teacher there. I remember when he was talking about this new kick ~~~ singer from Canada that was about to join the band. They weren't called Skid Row yet.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Santa Cruz California

Yeah, I like that one stabbing westward song earth vs me, Its timeless... My tastes have changed sooo much over the years, I guess I'm gonna just say who I enjoy listening to, Not necessarily influenced by, It's a strange combination here....

Diana Krall
    Pink Floyd== Rush used to be in there, too burnt to listen anymore
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    And Always Ozzy Osbourne
    Wholly crap, How could I forget Steve Vai, one of my alltime favorites....

However, My influences when I starting playing guitar were

Total Butt Rock Metal, But it's what inspired me to play guitar, maybe for the wrong reasons at firs, but kept up with it after 20 years, and am in a happy place, Not complacent though, I always still explore...

It's funny, I went to highschool with Metallica's first bass players girlfriend in the 80's, I was what I thought was a total metal head, and She had Metallica tatooed on her knuckles, I knew it had to do with rock somehow so I asked her what it meant, she said, well its hard rock, I said , like the scorions, she said no, much harder, and ofcourse she explained she was the Bass players girlfriend and said they will be the next big thing on the rock scene... I guess she was right, Graduated and started seeing them get popular, and in the 90's bam... Ok I'm babbling again, and I aint even had a drink yet...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast