• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Death by Forum

Share/Bookmark

Death by Forum

The Media Daily News reports that a West Nyack, NY man was found dead at his computer apparently the victim of trying to keep up with too many forums. Childress H. Wanamaker, age 54, died of starvation according to the West Nyack coroner's office. Although Wanamaker's wife had been bringing her husband meals for weeks, he never took the time to eat them.

"He was glued to his computer 24/7," she said tearfully. "He was so afraid he was going to miss an opportunity to contribute a comment or start a discussion, that he just stopped eating." "He felt under terrible pressure to be part of the online community," said his son, Lucian, who says he tried several times to get his father's attention and lure him away from the computer. "The only time he even looked up was when I told him I had seen Dane Madsen trying to steal his car out of the driveway."

Wanamaker was linked into to over 15,250 other community members, many of whom he exchanged notes with daily. He also contributed to 375 blogs and was expected to start an online column about the impact of interactive communications on health, when he died. A virtual memorial service will be held online.

Please members, don't be like Mr. Wanamaker . Perhaps his unfortunate experience can be a lesson.

Take time to be with family and friends, to go outdoors, interact with people in person, and to enjoy life.

Take good care...

Gary Garritan

Re: Death by Forum

...and here all I can do while I'm forum'ing is snack.

This is sad if its true. But its not the first time I've heard about stories like this. 60 Minutes did a report about a number of marrages that ended once one of the people in the marrage got "hooked up" to the internet.

Its a good thing I have my day job, which has nothing to do with computers, luring me away every day or I fear I'd end up like that!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

ha ha ha Gary it looks like you are trying to be the 60,00th poster, good luck.

Too funny!

dpDan

No, it's not true, but it could be you if you don't watch out! Luckily, I eat lots of fatty foods, and I rarely visit any other forums, so I'm good.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

.....and was expected to start an online column about the impact of interactive communications on health, when he died

Oh, I tried so hard not to laugh at the irony of it. But its pure black comedy. I'm evil

Seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand how people get like this. I like reading a few forums a couple of times a week or maybe more when I'm on a break, like now, but to exist just to stare into a screen and neglect your family and friends!.

Sadly, a friend of mine is married to a man who runs a forum and her and their two kids don't see him when he gets home from the bank, don't see him at the weekends, and they watch him pace miserably when on holiday itching to get back home and online. She might just end up as one of those stats.

Someone had better check in on Brian 2112. You eating your meals, buddy?
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Talking Re: Death by Forum

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Huh? Whaa?
    <-dusting off cobwebbs
    Meals yes, exercise no....LOL

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I'm surprised Styxx isn't dead yet.

Hmmm... dunno about that idea to "interact with people in person"... that sounds downright dangerous.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum